Make A Pillow Out Of A Beloved Shirt

contest winner icon

Because I have six kids, we tend to pass down a lot of clothes to the next sibling. My oldest son had a special shirt he simply did NOT want to let go of. Rather than pass it down to his brother, I agreed to let him keep it. But he simply could not keep it as a shirt because he continued to wear it, despite his belly hanging out. So I stitched up the arm holes and neck hole and filled the "torso" of the shirt with fiberfill. Then I stitched up the bottom of the shirt, creating a super cute, super cozy pillow!

My next younger son loved the idea so much, he too had me stitch up his favorite shirt he was quickly outgrowing. It has now been about 6 years and the two boys still cherish their "shirt pillows". The best part for them is to see old pictures that they were wearing their shirts in and now they can remember those fun times every time they hug their pillows.

By imama2many from UT

I used to take the back panel of fabric for a pillow but I like your idea much better! thanks.

Although I'm not a sewer, even I could probably do this...by hand. Thanks so much for sharing. What a cool way to save that special shirt.

I am glad to see someone else do this, I have two t-shirts that my longest and dearest girlfriend gave me. She died from breast cancer 7 years ago, so I have made them into pillows, so I can look at them each day and remember her. Maybe this will encourage others to keep their precious mementos.

Leann from Ohio

I did this a couple of years ago for all the single women in our family for Christmas and called them "boyfriend" pillows! I took old flannel shirts, stuffed the sleeves and sewed the bottom to make a pillowcase that fit over a regular pillow. They were a cute and fun (and inexpensive) and everyone loved them! My sister's is still on her bed and makes her new husband laugh every time he sees it!

That is such a wonderful idea! I have 5 kids and they each have that special T-shirt that they don't want to pass on. I am going to do this - thank you for sharing this with us!

Thank you for this wonderful idea! I have 5 kids and I know they'd appreciate their favorite t-shirt in a cuddly form on their bed!

New York T-Shirt
Preserving Special T-Shirts
Parenting General Parenting Memory KeepingJanuary 23, 2008
A man wearing a t-shirt.
Shrinking a T-shirt
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer
Man wearing a white t-shirt.
Repairing a Cotton T-Shirt
Sweater Pillow
Making a Sweater Pillow
🎉
🎄