Doggie Diapers Won't Stay On

My dog is in heat and her diaper won't stay on at night. She is a French Bulldog and has no tail so the diaper isn't really working. I don't want to keep her just in the kitchen area and she usually sleeps with me. I feel bad making her sleep elsewhere she is already a bit mopey.

Please don't lecture me on getting her fixed, she is 8.5 months and I didn't realize her first cycle would come this quick. I need help; I tried putting a baby onesie one her and she just didn't look comfortable, so that obviously doesn't work. I'm using the non-disposable diaper (cloth one w/pads).

By Ms. Ana from Dallas, TX

Anonymous

I'm not sure what doggie diapers look like but we have used little boy's underwear/briefs on our dog backwards so her tail (stump) could stick out.

Anonymous

I would never have thought of the little boy briefs and putting them on backwards! It makes a lot of sense and as long as not too small I'll bet that would work :-)

Same thing happened with my dog. She is a mini poodle. I used a pair of my sons old underwear (sz.2T) with a panty liner. It worked fine. After that I had her fixed.

We use "pull-ups" with a slit cut through for the tail nub.

I also have a dog that needs to wear a diaper sometimes, and I came up with a solution that might help you. I used my idea with human disposable diapers, but this idea should work with cloth diapers as well.

I put a dog harness on my dog instead of her collar, and then I put on the diaper and fastened it. To keep the diaper on her, I then took a diaper pin (don't use regular safety pins) and pinned through each side of the diaper where the diaper is already fastened to itself. So the dog now has a diaper pin on each side of her hips through the diaper. Next, keeping the diaper pin open, I looped it through the part of the dog harness closest to her lower body and on each side of her hips, and then I closed each pin.

I hope this description is not confusing, since I don't have a picture to post. Basically, the harness almost acts like a set of suspenders, if that helps. I tried this first, since I had all items on hand, and it worked well for me. If that didn't work, my next step was some of the clothing mentioned in the previous posts. My dog has narrow hips and no tail, and there was no way a diaper would stay on by itself. Hope this idea helps!

Have just tried this on my Frenchie and it is working great. Thank you for the tip.