What is this plant? (Air Potato)

My mom found this seed/plant/fruit thing in the backyard of a house she was selling and I have no idea what it is! Its stem keeps growing, at first it was 5 inches, now its like a foot, which grew over a week and the stem moves constantly! Please help me, I need to know what it is!

Ashley from Jacksonville

looks like an avocado to me.

Hi, Ashley,

It looks rather like an 'air potato', a non-edible vine -- is that piece you are holding about the weight of a baseball and very solid? An air-potato dropped out of a tree that its vine was growing on, and broke the windshield of my car parked underneath!

But -- what did you mean by 'the stem moves constantly'? As if there were something alive in it?

EEK!

Nancy, also in Florida

Maybe is is one of those Invasion of the Body snatcher pods..LOL

It reminds me of a dahlia tuber/bulb or whatever they're called. I just planted some and thought they looked an awful lot like a little potato. Dahlias grow pretty tall and their stems will wind around a bit if not staked. Here's a pic of a bunch of them.

Plant it back in the ground and see what happens. If it gets a vine, then it probably is a potato ;)

HTH,

Amy

It looks like an air potato.

I just hope it's not a Triffid!!

I agreee with the air potato vine. It is virtually indestructable! If planted at the base of a tree it will wind itself around the tree as a beautiful vine, and these "potatoes" are the fruit (non-edible). The vine is pretty with lovely leaves.

I did a yahoo search for pictures of an air potato plant, and came up with a "bulb" that has spots on it and a bright green vine. I just did not look like the plant in the picture. Now the picture you have looks like a sweet potato plant to me. Brown potato with purple vine. they make beautiful plants, and have very pretty flowers.

It is a air potato plant. I had one that a friend gave me a few months ago. I never got around to planting it and left it on my nightstand for months. I noticed that it had begun to sprout and when it did in a few days it was very long and had green sprouts on it. It is a ugly pod that give a beautiful green full leaf and it wraps around a tree very nicely. Plant it and you will be pleasantly surprised.!

Home and Garden Gardening Plant Info What Is This PlantMay 30, 2007
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
Repairing an Air Mattress
Repairing an Air Mattress
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
furnace air filter
Reusing Air Cleaner Filters
🎉
🎄