Slicing Glycerin Soap

Does anyone have advice on how to slice glycerin soap without crumbling it? My daughter is trying to make soap loafs and then slice them into bars.

Teri from Washington

How about one of those wire cheese slicers, hold over a candle for a few seconds then slice just like cheese. Good luck!

Hello. Buy(or find) some heavy wire, usually used for making wreaths. take 2 short dowels, just big enough for your hand. Wrap wire around one and twist to lock and have a gap in space(more than bar) and then wrap and lock to other dowel. It is important to do this in a warmer room. for example if you keep your thermostat low(like me), wait to cut in kitchen after you have done some baking. you want an overall warm temp. I suggest prints, nail marks and the wires wont push into your fingers as much.

I know! I am always so wordy! Best wishes. starchild in VT

In the past I used a waved cheese slicer that worker great and gave a nice pattern to the cut soap.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps thin nylon or piano wire? I recall my mom slicing dough that way. I also recall at least one art teacher I knew slicing clay the same way.

To use this method, you'll need a piece long enough to wrap around both hands and leave plenty of clearance on each side. It would help if the bar were slightly raised off the surface, maybe on a couple of dowel rods, a cooling rack or just a couple of lengths of board.

Wrap the wire loosely around both hands, draw your hands apart until it's taut, and gently pull it through the loaf or block. Voila!

Hope this method works as well as I remember... Best to you, and Merry Christmas!

Heat up a sharp knife. Caution may need adult help, or use small loaf pan shapes so you don't need to cut. Muffin tins are great even use the paper cups for good display. Have fun!

Crafts Soap MakingNovember 28, 2008
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Making Soap on a Rope, Heart Shaped Soap on a Rope
Making Soap on a Rope
Slice of cantaloupe with other cantaloupes in the background.
Peeling and Slicing Melon
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale