Recanning Foods

I'm searching for information on recanning foods from #10 cans. I purchased several #10 cans of garbanzo beans that I'd like to recan into pints. I wasn't sure if I needed to reuse the thick liquid already in the cans, or if I could can the beans in water and discard the liquid. Any info will be appreciated.

By Talitha from Payson, AZ

Best Answer

I agree-I would not recan something that is already processed, but I would freeze. Just put your beans into freezer zip bags and label them. You can even freeze them flat to take up less room.

Best Answer

When you freeze garbanzo beans I believe you will find they turn mushy so decide how you wish to use them first. Open 1 can at a time and freeze the left overs. Your extension service will be able to tell you the most about canning and recanning. If you do decide to freeze them I would drain the juice off and just freeze the beans in separate bags....leave them frozen until use and put in recipe frozen to make better use of them. Myself I prefer to dehydrate and then I don't have to worry and then I store them in the freezer. Don't take up much room that way either. Hope this helps.

I really would not recommend attempting to reprocess store bought foods. Good luck.

Please don't recan! As Ginnywest suggested, just freeze!

When unsure about canning something you might try a site like Ball or BallBlueBook.com. They are great at answering questions.

Canning Raspberries, Raspberry Jam Recipes. Canning Tips and Tricks. Jar of Jam Being Pulled from Canner
Home Canning Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes CanningApril 22, 2010
Zip Top Bag With Strawberries
Using Zip Top Bags
Super Bowl Party Brownies
Super Bowl Party Foods
canning jar lids showing in canning pot
Water Bath Canning Advice
A woman shopping for produce.
Buying Foods in Season
🎉
🎄