High Producing Crops

If you are looking for high-producing crops to use in a small yard, here are some suggestions:

Elderberries make an attractive border. They grow about 10 feet tall and give you lots of berries. We juice them. My husband makes wine from some, and I make jelly from the rest. It is also a tasty breakfast juice if you sweeten it. You may want to dilute it with water or lemon-lime soda to your taste. This year I will be selling jelly at a local Scandinavian festival.

Don't have a yard, but you do have a sunny window? Bring in a 30 gallon trash can that has holes in the bottom for drainage. Invert the lid and put it under the trash can. Put a few layers of newspaper in the bottom and then fill with soil. At least the top foot should be good potting soil. I have had good success with chard and green onions this way in a window that is not very sunny. Lots of sun means you can raise tomatoes, peppers, and onions to make your own salsa. You will get more than you need for fresh eating, so find a good recipe for salsa and can it in pint jars. Great stuff!

By Coreen from Rupert, ID

I remember picking elderberries with my mom as a kid and making pies at home--YUM. They are one berry that I've considered growing on my trellises in my yard.

Too bad we live so far from each other, I think we're both in the same situation and could become fast-friends. Keep sending in your ideas. I for one appreciate them.

Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 26, 2006
damage to chard leaf
Controlling Leaf Miners
Growing Bean Vine Crops
Growing Vine Crops
Photo of a large high school and its football field.
High School Activities Ideas
Lettuce Crops
How to Rotate Your Crops
🎄