Growing Food in Recycled Pods

Short on space? Want to grow herbs or salad foods? Then grow food upwards! Yep, this season I have done this using recycled materials and here's how. I used parts of a pallet (wooden slated base which building products are delivered on in the UK) to make a rectangular frame, secured in the corners with screws to provide some strength.

1. Screw in cup hooks so that I can suspend strong bamboo sticks from one side to another. I made a total of 4 rows.
  2. Collect 4 pint plastic milk bottles and cut them down so that the handle can be threaded on to the bamboo stick. Remove the top from behind the screw cap and about 3 inches down the front. Don't forget to put some holes in the base for drainage. I managed to get 6 across on my frame.
  3. I then used a Sharpie to write the name of the plants on the front after potting them up. So far I have chives, coriander, chard, mint, parsley, mixed lettuce, marjoram, sage, cress, curry plant, strawberries, etc.
  4. Ad

So far, so good, the food is growing and I am thinking about what else I can grow and have come up with trailing tomatoes! Hmmm, wonder what I can grow for winter?