Easter Gift Basket for Husband Who Loves Books, Video Games, and Cooking

I'm making a small gift basket for my husband for Easter and am running low on ideas. We don't have the $ for me to go out and buy the video game he really wants, but I'd really like to get him some small inexpensive things. He's so hard to buy for.

His family is Hawaiian so that's a theme I could work with. He's 26 and a bit of a geek (loves video games and books, not sports or being outdoors as much). He also loves DVDs and cooking. Any ideas would be more than helpful. Thanks.

By Katrina from Baltimore, MD

Hit your local pawn shops. I can't tell you how many times I've bought games that are only a few weeks old for much much less than retail. I'd also recommend hitting Blockbuster when they have buy one get one free sales or 1/2 price used games. I'd also consider buying games that you know will trade in for much higher than what you paid for them at the bigger gaming stores. Video Game flipping is one of the easiest things in the world to do to get trade credit for games at one of the big game stores.

Get him a cute apron. You can iron on a picture on something from Hawaii. Also get him some recipes (online)from his home town, good luck.

Hit a used bookstore too--you can pick up lots of titles (especially cookbooks) quite cheaply. If you're set on new books and your husband is an adventurous reader, try doverpublications.com. They have paperback editions of classic books, many for a dollar! The geeks in my life have enjoyed Oscar Wilde, O'Henry, and Saki's work. Dover also has cookbooks though they are typically priced a bit higher.

You could also rent or check out from your local library a movie that you think he'd enjoy and put it in the basket with a note stating that the movie has to be returned, but that he can hang on to you. :)

And I think it's really cool that you're making an Easter basket for your guy. I don't know a lot of women who do that.

If you have DollarTree stores in your area, go and get kitchen tools, towels, pot holders etc, that you do not have, recipe/cookbooks, and DVD"s of old movies or tv shows. $10 will fill a nice basket and you can buy the basket there too.

How about sending a plea to his family members asking for their favorite Hawaiian recipes (let them know that you're compiling them for your sweetheart)? You can then put them on recipe cards, make a simple but elegant "stack" of the cards tied with a ribbon, and make a tag in Hawaiian expressing your love!