Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Oven Cleaner For Bathtubs

I am looking for advice on cleaning the bathtub using oven cleaner.

By waitress

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Joan [13]02/18/2010

Krud Kutter from Lowe's or Home Depot. Put in spray bottle, spray area and let sit 3-4 minutes and wipe off with damp cloth. Krud Kutter will strip the finish off wood [full strength],remove mold/mildew, diluted will clean walls with little effort. Read the uses on the bottle. Last week, it was $12.99 for a gallon and lasts me for several months!

By Beth [25]02/18/2010

I have seen tubs that were so bad in rentals that the only thing that would clean them is oven cleaner. We are talking about beyond regular dirty! Just use gloves, have ventilation even if it means having a fan running, and rinse very well.

By ScrpBkBon [4]02/17/2010

I would not try to clean my bathtub with any kind of Oven cleaner. They are too strong and the fumes alone might make you or your family sick if this mixture is left in a bath tub or small room. I have tried CLR for my bath tub but even that peeled the metal off the bath tub stopper and left it a rusty mess. So my best suggestion is Mr. Clean the white sponges and 409 and your bath tub will shine. It is great for walls also and anything in the kitchen to clean with I swear by those Mr. Clean sponges.

By Anonymous [848]02/17/2010

It would be much healthier for your lungs and the environment to mix a baking soda and water paste to scrub the tub and then rinse and disinfect with a vinegar and water mixture.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Oven Cleaner For Bathtubs

I too have used over cleaner on a bathtub. My son moved into a condo and the tub had crud on it between the shower curtain and tub that we could not get off. I tried oven cleaner, let it sit and it scraped right off.

By Shar from Phoenix

Editor's Note: With this tip, I worry about the oven cleaner damaging some types of bathtubs. You probably should test this on an inconspicuous place first.