Oven Cleaner For Bathtubs

I am looking for advice on cleaning the bathtub using oven cleaner.

By waitress

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

It would be much healthier for your lungs and the environment to mix a baking soda and water paste to scrub the tub and then rinse and disinfect with a vinegar and water mixture.

I would not try to clean my bathtub with any kind of Oven cleaner. They are too strong and the fumes alone might make you or your family sick if this mixture is left in a bath tub or small room. I have tried CLR for my bath tub but even that peeled the metal off the bath tub stopper and left it a rusty mess. So my best suggestion is Mr. Clean the white sponges and 409 and your bath tub will shine. It is great for walls also and anything in the kitchen to clean with I swear by those Mr. Clean sponges.

I have seen tubs that were so bad in rentals that the only thing that would clean them is oven cleaner. We are talking about beyond regular dirty! Just use gloves, have ventilation even if it means having a fan running, and rinse very well.

Krud Kutter from Lowe's or Home Depot. Put in spray bottle, spray area and let sit 3-4 minutes and wipe off with damp cloth. Krud Kutter will strip the finish off wood [full strength],remove mold/mildew, diluted will clean walls with little effort. Read the uses on the bottle. Last week, it was $12.99 for a gallon and lasts me for several months!

February 15, 2010 Flag

I too have used over cleaner on a bathtub. My son moved into a condo and the tub had crud on it between the shower curtain and tub that we could not get off. I tried oven cleaner, let it sit and it scraped right off.

By Shar from Phoenix

Editor's Note: With this tip, I worry about the oven cleaner damaging some types of bathtubs. You probably should test this on an inconspicuous place first.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomFebruary 15, 2010
Keeping Your Oven Clean, Young Woman Cleaning her Oven
Keeping Your Oven Clean
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Unseasoned Dutch Oven
Seasoning a Dutch Oven
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 5:11:35 PM on 10.0.2.236 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.