Sewing Two Panels of an Afghan Together

I made some panels for an afghan using leftover yarn and now would like to sew them together. I haven't done this before and when I go online for some direction, the choices are overwhelming. Can I simply use a single stitch to "sew" them together or should I use yarn and sew them? Any direction or suggestions would be so appreciated.

Also, does anyone know of some good blogs or message boards for crochet? There are so many, it is hard to know where to start and it takes so much time to go through all the choices. I would much prefer recommendations. Thank you dearly!

By MLS from Terrebonne, OR

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

The ones that I have seen look like the panels are whip stitched together, using yarn.

Yes, whip stitching is the easiest and most common method of sewing the panels together. What I do is to place the two panels side by side on a table. Then I whip stitch up the seam. I make sure the stitches are even in tension, firm but not tight, smooth but not loose. Every 5-8 stitches I make an extra stitch in the same space. This prevents unraveling in case one of the stitches gets cut or broken. Then you only have a couple of inches to re-stitch instead of the entire seam.

Cricketnc is right. But, if you would rather, you can also crochet them together. I use a slip stitch so it doesn't make a ridge. Simply put them together as you would regularly crochet something. I leave a 12" tail when I begin. Then, when I have tails to work in, I can use a larger needle to weave them back and forth, right and left.

You can use a single crochet, but there will be a larger ridge than a slip stitch would leave. Good luck!.

As for the blogs, I like these two. I hope this helps.

http://crochet.about.com/od/blogsaboutcrochet/tp/Crochet-Blogs.htm

http://yarnchick.blogspot.com/

and this ranks the best ones you can check out a lot this way.

http://shareranks.com/4240,Best-Crochet-Blogs

Thank you for all your help! As I said, the internet is great but it's overwhelmingly and I prefer "personal" advice.

And I will check out those boards - thanks again! This is my all time favorite site : )

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Crafts CrochetDecember 27, 2011
Knitted Afghan
Making a Knitted Afghan
Making a Crochet Scrap Afghan
Making a Crochet Scrap Afghan
Knifty Knitters
Stitching Together Panels Made on Knifty Knitter
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 9:07:09 PM on 10.0.2.135 in 913 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.