Male Cat Nurses Itself to Sleep

I know this is very odd but I'm at my wits end. My 9 month old male cat who is been neutered "nurses" himself at night. He seems to do this every night in my bed and he has to be touching me. To me it seems to be a form of self pleasure for him. I know this is a bad topic but if anyone can help me I would be grateful. I love my cat very much and want him to be healthy. I also have his sister but have not noticed any odd behaviors from her. Why does he do this? And should I be worried?

Julie from Greenwood, SC

Not sure if you mean he nurses on himself, on you, or on something else, but it's pretty common in cats that were taken away from their mother at a very young age. It's a comfort thing for him, and, if he's nursing on himself, as long as he's not making his skin raw, it's fine. If he is making his skin raw,you could talk to your vet about something topical that wouldn't taste good.

Kittens taken away too young suckle finger tips, ear lobes, eye droppers, corners of pillows, and some even get a kick out of what mom's used to call a sugar teat. They would put cheesecloth in a bunch, put some sugar in it, then tie it so tight that it would be like a nipple, which kept babies occupied during long wagon train rides.

You may want to make him something like that with some sugar and cream, a little tiny bit of cat food, or whatever.

When kittens nurse, they often fall asleep so yes, this is a way to calm himself.

He is close to you because you are warm. Be grateful...my cat will sit with me about 1 hour a day!

As long as he isn't hurting himself or anyone else; let it go. :o)

This happens all the time to cats that experience early separation from their mother. Most effected cats never get over it.

Sorry, maybe I was not too clear. He suckles his privates. This can be very strange I know, but any more feed back is welcome and thank you to all those who have responded.

I agree with the shelter worker, as long as he isn't hurting anyone or himself, don't worry. This apparently is very soothing to him. He misses mommy! Maybe if you were to introduce something like what poor but proud recommend it would help it, you are trying to stop him from doing it. BTW, I have heard of the sugar teat all my life and never heard of it anywhere else but from my mom! Thanks for sharing with us! Brought back sweet memories!

Pets CatsJanuary 7, 2009
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Cats laying on a woman sleeping in bed.
Training a Cat to Not Sleep on Your Head
A nurse reading a chart.
Organizing Tips for Nurses
Iron Framed Bed
Fixing a Squeaky Bed
🎄