Microwave Convection Reviews

Our microwave died. I am thinking about replacing it with a microwave convection oven, but have read mixed reviews. Does anyone have any experiences with the microwave convection combo? I plan to use it for casseroles, smaller baked items, reheating, french fries and such. The toaster oven doesn't do justice to those items. Also I don't want to get stuck with another chore ie: another oven to clean. Microwaves are easy to clean, but what about the combos?

By Arlinn from NY

I bought a Kenmore Elite micro convection combo before Christmas. I have not used the combo of it but the microwave and convection oven works pretty well. However, due to a design flaw, I am unable to bake a 13 by 9 in. Cake or use a 12 count muffin tin in using convection as the screw heads inside the oven are right where the pan lips are which prevents the rotation process. The convection oven takes much less time to preheat than my regular oven.

Inside my microwave is stainless steel which isn' the easiest to clean.

Hope this helps.

I can't live without my Sharp microwave/convection oven. I use it more than my regular oven. My mom and sister have one, too. We love them. They are great for baking. It has a wonderful 'sensor reheat' feature. It has a sensor defrost feature that works like a charm. It will defrost all kinds of things (frozen hamburger, chicken pieces, steaks) without cooking the edges. The edges don't even get warm. You can partially bake and microwave potatoes at the same time and they come out perfect and take less time. I can't say enough about this appliance. If mine broke, I'd go out and get another one right away.

I have had for years a GE micro-convection oven. I love it. Just last year we remodeled our kitchen with all new appliances and still went with the newer model GE micro-convection. I put cookies, cakes, casseroles really anything you could put in the oven you can use in the convection. It is especially nice in the summer months because it is not hot like the oven is. Unless it is already programed in (look in manuel) you bake at 25% less. Like if a cake calls for 350 degrees, in the convection oven you put it at 325 degrees. The things you use in the convection still browns and is moist. I love it and since having one for over 17 years and I worked for Sears when I bought my first GE one it had a must larger insides and better features than any others. Good luck hope this helps.

*What size should I buy in order to use a 9 by 13 inch pan?

*Do the outer sides get very hot? Mine would go into a built in cubby shelf that is already part of our kitchen layout. Just wondering if that is a concern.

*Also how hard is it to clean?

Thank you all for your input.

February 20, 2011 Flag

Product: Microwave-Convection

Request: I would like to replace my old microwave with a microwave convection oven, full size, if possible. Does anyone have one they can recommend I buy or models I should stay away from?

Thanks!
Linda from New York City

Answers:

Microwave Convection Reviews

I have one and I never use the convection, basically because I can't get over sticking metal in the microwave. Also, once you've used the convection oven you need to let it cool down before you can use the microwave, so you couldn't roast a chicken and then microwave the veggies to go with it. I bought a toaster oven that is also a convection oven and use that all the time. I don't know if this was what you wanted to hear though. (04/13/2007)

By Eileen Celeste

Microwave Convection Reviews

I have a Sharp microwave/convection oven that I bought in Oct 1980. I am still using it and I use the convection a lot! It is so nice to bake anything in without heating up a large size oven. A 9 x 13 pan with rounded corners fits perfectly in it and rotates on the metal rack. It is also nice for baking a pie. True you can let it cool some before microwaving in it or not, but what's the problem? I love mine and hope it never quits!

(04/13/2007)

By jewatson58

Microwave Convection Reviews

I have one I bought in Sears made by Sharp called Carousel II and have had it for over 17 years now. I bought one each for my son and daughter as their bridal shower gifts. All of us have been more than happy with it and use the convection setting quite often. Although you have to wait a few moments to use it on regular microwave setting after that's fine for us as usually you let the meat cool before carving anyway. Nothing beats chicken pieces baked to perfection in 35 minutes. (04/13/2007)

By Ginger

Microwave Convection Reviews

I have a 17 year old full size Quasar, which I use every day. I bake bread, cookies, small pizzas, pies, and cakes in it and they come out perfectly. I also roast meats, casseroles, and vegetables. It has a broiler which works just fine and as a microwave, it's the best. It saves my back and doesn't heat up the kitchen the way my stove does. It has traveled from coast to coast with me and I have never had a problem with it of any kind. I don't think Quasar still makes it, but if you can find one in good condition, I can recommend it highly. Good luck to you. (04/14/2007)

By Sheila May

Microwave Convection Reviews

I, as well as my mom, are on our second Sharp microwave/convection ovens. I had to beg to have my mom get one over 13 years ago, and now she's as hooked as I am. The latest one we both have is the Smart and Easy Sensor- model # R-930AK. It is a large model, big enough to roast a large chicken or small turkey. I love being able to bake fresh cookies in the summer for the kids and not have to worry about heating up the house. It is very simple to use, that even my dad can heat up a quick meal. I highly recommend the Sharp products due to their durability and reliability. Good luck and have fun!
(04/15/2007)

By freebieteach

Microwave Convection Reviews

I have a GE Profile. I like it because it will do regular oven equivalents so you don't have to convert the convection oven ones if you don't want to. It is kind of hard to clean. The interior is metal, but the door is plastic, so don't use oven cleaner on it. Clean like a microwave (steam a cleanser soaked sponge for 2 minutes, then wipe clean). (11/16/2007)

By Leslie

Consumer Advice Product Reviews KitchenFebruary 20, 2011
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Convection Oven in New Kitchen
Convection Oven Tips and Recipes
Quiche Being Served on White Plate
Microwave Quiche Recipes
🎉
🎄