What is the Best Way to Core Pears?

What is the easiest way to core pears from your tree? I feel I had a lot of waste.

By Janelle from Bevier, MO

Here are two ways to do it. :-)

Slice them in half, pull out the stem, and scoop out the seeds with a melon baller.

I found the perfect sized corer for the pears, you can look in any kitchen section of stores to see if you can find one. It is the core size of a dime. Pop the stem off, you can go from the top or the bottom and there is very little waste or work at all. Takes out the inside stem, seeds and makes perfect pears for steaming, side dishes on salad, pies sections, etc. Last year was my first best crop ever. This year? 15 pears on the trees. They were the size of softballs last year!

Another thing, I can/process them in water bath BUT use white grape juice in the jars with the pears instead of water syrup mix. After 6 months of waiting, they are the best sauces. I took the softy pears and cooked them into an apple sauce state and canned them. Also tossed some softies into the tomatoes cooking down, did not use pectin or sugars for a pear/tomato jam. Set right up.

Just came in the house with pear and cherry tomatoes. Not enough for a batch to process so will wash and freeze them till I have oodles to work with. Have a baby shower tomorrow to go to and will bring some there as I know the menu is a BBQ, salad one.

Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitAugust 5, 2010
Pear melting out of a block of ice.
Freezing Pears
Using Kettlebells, Saving Money on Kettlebells2 Kettlebells Laying on Concrete
Using Kettlebells
Freshly Cut Pears
Selecting Good Pears
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears