Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Spirits of Ammonia and Coke

Used as a home remedy for a variety of ailments. This guide is about spirits of ammonia and coke.

Where can I find a bottle of spirit of ammonia in Baltimore, Maryland? I used it years ago to help with unbearably painful headaches, due to medical problems. Now the problem is back and this is the only thing to take my headaches away fast, without using pain meds that have been prescribed.

By Dee G. from Baltimore, MD

Call your local hospital pharmacy.. I have only fainted once in my life, when I was having a biopsy of my uterine lining to check for various hormone levels; the doctor woke me with spirits of ammonia vial. I assume it's still used for the same reason, fainting patients.

I worked at the soda fountain at Matthew Rexall Drug Store in Great Falls, SC in the '60s and made Ammonia and Coke for customers often. I used a cap full (maybe a 4 oz. bottle) for each Coke.

You can buy it online from Walmart made by Hume for 6.98 including tax and shipping.

My mother used to take an combination of coke cola and spirits of ammonia. It was maybe 4 drops of the spirits of ammonia in a coke glass and drink. I now use it when feeling upset beyond control. I told a doctor about it the other day and she had never heard of it.

They used to sell it at the drug store called READS. They also sold it at Murphy's and Woolworth's. it was on the menu as coke and spirits of ammonia. You can also use it in orange juice.

My question is, has anyone else heard of this?

Thank you,
Sandy

Yes used it myself often as a child as did all my family Coach used to give it to use while at summer practice and ball games in the south Central Va. Gets very very hot and humid , I recall being 10 to 12 and going to the local drugstore and ordering it as you described

I use it for my nerves. My OBGYN told me about it 24 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child and my nerves were shot. He told me to put a few ddrops in soda and sip on it to calm me down. I still keep a bottle handy especially when I go on road trips with my nieces and grandchildren. lol

Yes i have

I have Sandy. I remember my mom getting it at Reads Drug Store in Bel Air, Maryland. That was over 60 yes ago.

My mother n I used to order it at Purcell's drug store counter. It cools your body down so we drank it when we worked in the textile industry also

January 12, 2011 Flag

My mother used to make an combination of Coke and spirits of ammonia. It was maybe 4 drops of the spirits

of ammonia in a Coke glass and drink. I now use it when feeling upset beyond control. I told a doctor

about it the other day and she had never heard of it.

They used to sell it at the drug store called Reads. They also sold it at Murphy's and Woolworth's.

it was on the menu as Coke and spirits of ammonia. You can also use it in orange juice.

Thank you.
Sandy

Answers:

Spirits of Ammonia

Never heard of it. Find out the side effects of spirits of ammonia!
Just 'cause it was popular way back when, doesn't mean it is safe! (07/29/2005)

By cookwie

Spirits of Ammonia

An "ammonia Coke" is still the best remedy for menstrual cramps. If you feel this is not for you, by all

means, consult with your doctor and do as he or she says. This is the remedy we all used back in the 40's

when I was a teenager, but I continued to use it throughout my life as did my girl and lady friends.

"Aromatic spirits of ammonia" is not to be confused with household ammonia which is probably poison.

Spirits of ammonia can be purchased in 1- 2 oz bottles in your local drug store. I believe it is the same

ammonia as is used in smelling salts. I raised 3 daughters and it was the remedy of choice for them. My 3

granddaughters all use it today, and it's still the number one remedy for "lady cramps". We all add the

ammonia to the real Coca-Cola, no substitutes.

(07/29/2005)

By Julia in Orlando, FL

Spirits of Ammonia and Coke

8/17/05 spirits of ammonia (smelling salts) are very calming! The alkalinizing effects of the spirits of

ammonia neutralizes the acidic residues in the stomach, so this is a good home remedy for upset stomach,

nervousness, and helps menstrual cramps as well. For upset stomach: the usual dose is 1/8 teaspoon

bicarbonate of soda, plus 1/8 teaspoon of spirits of ammonia, mixed into water, then you drink it down.

Enjoy! (08/17/2005)

By AdamAdam

Spirits of Ammonia and Coke

In the 60's I worked in a drug store with a lunch counter. A gentleman would come in and get a Coke with

a few drops of spirits of ammonia to relieve his migraine headaches. (08/22/2005)

By peetza1

Spirits of Ammonia and Coke

When I was young, my grandmother would send me to the bar downstairs every afternoon to get her a Coke

with a shot of ammonia. All these years I thought it was crazy until I just looked it up here, and saw it

wasn't. I now realize she was getting it for her chronic headaches that went away after she drank it.

(04/26/2007)

By Kemp

Spirits of Ammonia and Coke

Spirits of Ammonia is "A solution of ammonium carbonate in alcohol or ammonia water, used in smelling

salts". Ammonia, like you use for cleaning, is a caustic acid and can kill you. Please be sure you have

the correct one before drinking it! (05/17/2007)

By Jo

Spirits of Ammonia and Water

A mixture of water, ice and ammonia spirits works wonders for overheating. I use a six pack cooler, I

fill the cooler with ice then I add 2 cap fulls of ammonia spirits, then I fill the cooler up just far

enough so I can put two hand towels in. I use this playing tennis, softball, kids baseball and even

cutting the grass. When you get really hot, you take one of the towels and wrap it around your face

covering your nose then you take 3 deep breaths through your nose. You will not believe how much better

you feel and any breeze will feel like an airconditioning. This is what all the Major League Baseball

players use during hot games. (12/29/2007)

By Tony

Spirits of Ammonia and Coke

In the 1950's every Rexall Drug Store with a soda fountain would serve ammonia cokes. It was used as an

energy drink. But much less expensive than today's energy drinks. A fountain Coke with 3 or 4 drops of

spirits of ammonia. (01/12/2008)

By Bob

Spirits of Ammonia

When I got sick in church (due to not eating anything from the night before) and would practically pass

out, my mother gave me a little spirits of ammonia in a glass of water which made me feel better. It was

also given to a young lady in the movie "Magnificent Ambersons" when she became overwrought upon hearing

that her boyfriend was leaving town. I would be wary of mixing Coke with spirits of ammonia nowadays

because of all the additives in Coke, but that is just my opinion. (05/30/2008)

By Alice

Spirits of Ammonia and Coke

I have heard of it and used to be able to buy it in a pharmacy in GA when visiting my in-laws. I never

used it in Coke, but I used it on bug bites to stop the itch. It works great. (08/21/2008)

By Marie

Spirits of Ammonia and Coke

I have been using this combo for around 40 years for nausea. My grandmother told me about it. I have a

hard time finding the little bottles of spirits of ammonia, and I think it's funny that it says "Not for

Internal Use" on the bottle, but this always does the trick. When I was pregnant back in 1976, we still

had a Coke machine at work that dispensed Coke syrup and seltzer water out of the little doorway and the

cost was only a dime! (10/25/2008)

By Kathy

Spirits of Ammonia and Coke

Coke with ammonia is also mentioned in the novel
"The Postman Always Rings Twice", written in 1934 I think. That's what brought me to the internet,

trying to find out why. Thanks for all the information! (11/07/2008)

By Hinchess

Spirits of Ammonia and Coke

You can still buy spirits of ammonia right here on the internet. I just got some from one of the drug

store sites. (12/20/2008)

By Dottie

Spirits of Ammonia and Coke

In the famous movie from 1933, Dinner at Eight, Dr. Wayne Talbot asks for spirits of ammonia to treat Oliver

Jordan (played by Lionel Barrymore). Came here researching it! (01/10/2009)

By Bruce G.

Spirits of Ammonia and Coke

I had a ammonia Coke yesterday 5-30-2009. in Crisfield, Maryland. I thought it was great, however my wife

was not as impressed. (05/24/2009)

By Shoreliving

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Home RemediesMarch 26, 2013
Cleaning Toilet With Ammonia
Cleaning With Ammonia
A cup of coke spilling.
Cleaning Coke Stains From Clothing
A white bottle of household ammonia.
Cleaning Up Spilled Household Ammonia
diet cola
Removing Diet Coke Stains From Clothing
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 28, 2017 at 1:32:31 PM on 10.0.2.9 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.