Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers

I have a Black and Decker cordless electric mower which just will not work. I've had it serviced, but there must be a flaw in getting the machine to charge. And I have to take it to another city to get it serviced (over 30 miles one way), which irks me because of all the miles wasted only to get the machine to work for a short while.

Do any ThirftyFun readers use a cordless mower? If so, would you please tell me the make and model you prefer and how easy it is to get serviced or to maintain it? (Sears sells Black and Decker items, but they don't service them at their stores.) I want to use a cordless electric mower because it's environmentally friendly. Thank you so much!

Casey from Plano, TX

The problem with cordless products is the battery will except so many charges and the it won't hold a charge anymore. So the chargeable battery needs to be replaced if it is possible (some aren't) or you may need a new mower. You didn't say how old the unit is. The life of a rechargeable battery operating under normal conditions is generally between 500 to 800 charge-discharge cycles.

This translates into about three years of battery life for the average user. As the rechargeable battery begins to die, the user will notice a decline in the running time of the battery. When a battery that originally operated the flashlight for a whole shift is only supplying the user with an hour's worth of use, it's time for a new one.

I bought a Craftsman cordless electric lawnmower this year. I have had no problems with it at all. A few things I don't like is heavy and you cannot tell if it is charged until you start the mower up.

Consumer Advice Product Reviews Lawn & GardenOctober 21, 2008
Oreck Cordless Speed Iron
Oreck Cordless Iron Reviews
Old Reel Mower
Determining the Value of Old Reel Mowers
Patchy unhealthy lawn.
Homemade Lawn Fertilizer Recipes
Cordless Stick Vacuums
Cordless Stick Vacuums Reviews