How To Make Your Own Coffee Single Bags

Folger's single serve coffee bags are the best for when a single cup of coffee is all you need. They're great for work or camping. The problem is that they are so outrageously expensive! Isn't there a cheap, convenient way to fashion your own, using ordinary materials?

By Jeffrey from Salt Lake City, UT

Best Answer

Making Single Serve Coffee Bags

I discovered the most wonderful way to make your own coffee single bags using ordinary coffee filters!

Step1: Take a single coffee filter 8-12 cup, and pour 1 1/2 TBSP Coffee into the round bottom area. Fold the coffee filter in half like a taco so that all the round edges meet, being careful to keep the coffee within the half-moon region that represents the circular bottom.

Step 2: Fold the bottom right corner up over the front up and to the left as far as it will allow, then fold the bottom left corner up over the front and to the right as far as it will allow. The remaining edges of the coffee filter should stick up out of the center slightly flanged wide.

Step 3: Fold the top right edge of the remaining filter down and to the left and fold the top left edge of the remaining filter down and to the right so they bring the top of the filter to meet in the center. At this point the top of the filter may be slightly pointed.

Step 4: Fold the top of the filter down once about 1/4" to create a flat edge instead of a pointed edge. Finally, fold the entire top down like an envelope flap to create a "satchel". Finish by stapling through the folded top flap. If desired a string can be stapled to the satchel at the same time.

The is a perfect coffee bag that prevents any grounds leaking out and allows for enough space within the satchel to allow the water to flow freely and steep out the coffee color and flavoring. I prefer to leave the bag in my cup and just microwave the whole thing for about 2.5 minutes. I then recommend you let it sit to steep for an additional 2 minutes to fully develop the flavor. These are ideal to make in advance and can be stored in ziplock bags and taken to work for making a convenient single cup of coffee.

Give it a try!

Jeffrey Bryant Bishop

The following video doesn't give the instructions for making a single coffee filter, but shows how to brew a single cup of coffee at home.

You could also try the same method, but using muslin fabric, which is normally about a dollar a yard, or any type of thin fabric, just wash it first before using.

I don't make my own single serve coffee filters because I have 4 children and that is way to time consuming. But at krogers I bought a single serve coffee maker....Which is just a plastic container that sits on your coffee cup add filter (i bought a reusable one) add your desired amount of coffee pour boiling water over it it drips down in the the cup voila one cup of coffee. :)

Making Single Serve Coffee Bags
Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesMay 21, 2011
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Being Single on Valentine's Day
Using Reusable Kuerig Pods
Using Reusable Kuerig Pods
A cup of coffee in a white cup.
Making Single Serve Coffee Bags