Making Single Serve Coffee Bags

Category Beverages
A cup of coffee in a white cup.
If you only drink a cup or two of coffee a day, a single serve bag might be just the thing for you. Rather than buy them you can make some inexpensively at home. This is a guide about making single serve coffee bags.

My husband loves the convenience of the new Folger's single serving coffee bags. I don't like the price but like the idea. Does anyone have an idea how I can fashion my own?

Just like in a busy cafe, portion all the coffee in filters, stack 'em up and put them in an airtight container.

I know that I saw on You Tube at one time, how to make your own coffee pods (for those pod maker coffee pots) I would think that would work. The cost of the pod maker would more than make up for itself really quick. I also know that I have loose tea bag envelopes that you can put tea or coffee in, I think my friend got them for me from San Francisco Herb company, a GREAT place to get bulk herbs and such, but you have to have a min. order of $30. But if they have them, then someone else will too.

Kelly, she is talking about the kind of pot that you use a pod in. It is coffee completely enclosed in a filter. I have one too but brought it to work in case someone wants a cup of coffee but I assume they are expensive to buy and would like to know myself.

Why couldn't you cut out round pieces of coffee filters the size you need and fill with coffee (whatever it takes for one cup) and bring edges to the top and tie off with some unwaxed, unflavored dental floss?

Michawnpita is right. I went to youtube and typed in making your own coffee pods and it gave very clear directions. Thanks Michawnpita!

http://www.yout  amp;search_type=

englishteastore.com has t-sacs in size 1-2-3&4 serving sizes. They are about $4.25 for a hundred sacs. I like them because I can make multi flavored teas...

Thank you for your ideas but I must clarify myself. I am talking about Folger's single serving coffee bags. They look and work like tea bags. You simply put on in your cup, add boiling water, brew and done. I have seen items such as tea balls for loose tea and was wondering if something similar could work for coffee as well. Any ideas?

Folger's single serve coffee bags are the best for when a single cup of coffee is all you need. They're great for work or camping. The problem is that they are so outrageously expensive! Isn't there a cheap, convenient way to fashion your own, using ordinary materials?

By Jeffrey from Salt Lake City, UT

Best Answer

Making Single Serve Coffee Bags

I discovered the most wonderful way to make your own coffee single bags using ordinary coffee filters!

Step1: Take a single coffee filter 8-12 cup, and pour 1 1/2 TBSP Coffee into the round bottom area. Fold the coffee filter in half like a taco so that all the round edges meet, being careful to keep the coffee within the half-moon region that represents the circular bottom.

Step 2: Fold the bottom right corner up over the front up and to the left as far as it will allow, then fold the bottom left corner up over the front and to the right as far as it will allow. The remaining edges of the coffee filter should stick up out of the center slightly flanged wide.

Step 3: Fold the top right edge of the remaining filter down and to the left and fold the top left edge of the remaining filter down and to the right so they bring the top of the filter to meet in the center. At this point the top of the filter may be slightly pointed.

Step 4: Fold the top of the filter down once about 1/4" to create a flat edge instead of a pointed edge. Finally, fold the entire top down like an envelope flap to create a "satchel". Finish by stapling through the folded top flap. If desired a string can be stapled to the satchel at the same time.

The is a perfect coffee bag that prevents any grounds leaking out and allows for enough space within the satchel to allow the water to flow freely and steep out the coffee color and flavoring. I prefer to leave the bag in my cup and just microwave the whole thing for about 2.5 minutes. I then recommend you let it sit to steep for an additional 2 minutes to fully develop the flavor. These are ideal to make in advance and can be stored in ziplock bags and taken to work for making a convenient single cup of coffee.

Give it a try!

Jeffrey Bryant Bishop