Sewing Machine Needle Jammed

My sewing machine was a gift and has no manual. I just got it back from the shop after having full maintenance done and the needle is jammed. I removed the bobbin and the threads from the needle and it still won't move. I don't want to take it back to the shop, so I hope its something simple.

By Rain

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

You didn't mention the make of your machine but try :usersmanualguide.com and see if yours is listed. I'd also take it back to the shop where you had it repaired. By the way, I loved your signature on your profile.Very unique.

If the bobbin is jammed with thread the needle won't move as the mechanisms work off each other. Be sure to use the same thread both top and bottom and use good quality thread.

This could also happen to cause a jam: The case the bobbin sits in could be the culprit. There's a lifter that holds the bobbin case down so it doesn't slip. It may have gotten moved or loosened when the jam was created and won't allow the needle to function.

I have an older almost in pristine condition sewing machine and it can only work without jamming up if I use a cotton thread. Mercerized threads purchased at WalMart have some elasticity in them and will stretch and a jam happens. Today's machines should all work with today's threads. You didn't mention if the sewing machine was an older model or a new one.

Thank you for your comments. My sewing machine is a Nelco Ultra, and the bobbin chamber had shifted and jammed it self in place, but its all fixed now!

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesNovember 11, 2010
Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine Needle Won't Stay Threaded
Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine Needle Not Catching Thread
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 5:45:04 PM on 10.0.2.236 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.