What is the Best Way to Preserve Fresh Chives?

I grow chives in the summer and I always have more than I can use. Is it better to dry them or freeze them for future use? One year I chopped some chives then froze them in a plastic food bag, but when I thawed them out they were wet and kind of mushy.

By Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Dehydrate/dry them. Chopped fine and then dried, probably in the oven would work best. There are lots of tips on the internet on drying herbs, etc. You might even be able to hang them to dry, but you have to have the right conditions for that.

Oh dear! I froze some last week (just to try it out).

Can't win 'em all, I suppose.

Marg from England.

Preserving Fresh Chives
Preserving Fresh Chives
Food and Recipes StorageFebruary 15, 2011
Growing Chives
Growing Chives
Drying Chives
Drying Chives
A banana on ice.
Freezing Bananas
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 5:49:37 PM on 10.0.1.73 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.