Week 3: Potato Leek Soup
Potato and leek soup is popular in many European countries, especially during the winter. This creamy soup can be topped with chives, sour cream, or even bacon. Our recipe uses a crockpot but you could certainly make it in a pressure cooker or even on the stove.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
We had a lot of leeks leftover from another recipe so we decided to make potato leek soup. This crockpot recipe is easy to make and so yummy!
Total Time: 8 hours
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 lb potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium leeks, washed and finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 box (32 oz.) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 pt heavy cream (or half and half)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese, optional
- Wash, peel, and dice the potatoes. Also wash and dice the leeks. Place potatoes in crockpot. Sprinkle with the flour and stir to coat.
- Add leeks and vegetable broth. Stir. Then add butter and push it to the bottom. Cover and cook for 8 hours on LOW. Stir periodically.
- Once potatoes are soft, pour the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Return the soup to the crockpot and add heavy cream. Stir well.
- If you want to add cheese, do so now. Also, add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy.