Cheap, Easy Bird Feeders

For a cheap, easy bird feeder, string strands of fruit flavored cereal loops on tree or bush branches. You can also press peanut butter into crevices of pine cones and coat them with birdseed. This works great, especially if you live in an apartment building like I do, and can't hang large sized bird feeders in trees and bushes.

Source: Democrat and Chronicle - a local newspaper found years ago.

By elyag from Rochester, NY

Very good ideas! I like the pine cone one and am always wondering what I could use some of the hundreds of pinecones here at my apartment building for :-)

The pb and pine cones idea is wonderful, however, I don't think giving birds sweetened cereal is a good idea.

When I was young I was always cautioned about using anything strung together with string for bird feed since they can swallow the string and choke. Is this not a concern for bird lovers? Or is there a way to do this safely for the birds?

A pinecone covered in birdseed to be hung as a birdfeeder.
Making Pinecone Bird Feeders
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesMay 7, 2009
Homemade Bird Feeders
Homemade Bird Feeders
Cheap Date Ideas, Young Couple in the Park
Cheap Date Ideas
Bird Eating from Bird Feeder
Keeping The Ground Under a Bird Feeder Clean
Squirrel Feeder
Making a Squirrel Feeder