Keep Aluminum Foil from Sticking When Baking

Especially in fall and winter, I like to cook casseroles. And when I do, I like to put toppings on them. Many times it's cheese, but sometimes it's tomato sauce or gravy or some other sauce, and most times it calls for covering the casserole with foil during baking. I found that more times than not the cheese or other topping sticks to the aluminum foil even after spraying it with cooking oil, especially if it has to bake a good while.

I came up with a simple solution. All of my baking dishes have little handles built in to the top ends. I'm sure everyone knows what I mean. Anyway, I take a bit of aluminum foil and form it into a good sized loose ball. Then I put this ball on each of the handles. If I have to I use a small bit of the ball to make a hook to keep it on the handle. Then I cover the dish as usual. The ball keeps the foil just high enough off of the cheese to keep it from sticking.

The main things I cook this way are semi-homemade mac and cheese (I use the box and add handfuls of shredded cheese...yum!), shepherd's pie, or any other casserole that I've put cheese or any other topping on. Works great!

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

That is a good idea but now they make aluminum foil with barrier on it to keep things from sticking. I just saw it advertised on tv last night.

Since I first discovered it a couple of years ago, I only use Reynolds Release aluminum foil. Works great! Give it a try.