Aggressive Pit Bull Puppy

I need help on laws regarding Pit Bulls. Can my vet take him from me? I took my 10 week old puppy in for his first check up today and the vet said he was severely aggressive.

They told me I need to hit him and they are giving me 2 weeks to get him under control or he will have to be "put down". Can they take my puppy from me? How can they know what he will be at 10 weeks old?

By Denise

Best Answer

First - get to another vet. No vet worth anything will ever tell you to hit your dog. That is outrageous.

That said, you still need to deal with the dominant behavior of the dog before the safety of you and your family, your neighbors ( and the next vet) is threatened.

You didn't say how old your pup was when you got it--if it was younger than eight weeks, it's common for dogs of all breeds, not just pit bulls, to have aggression and general socialization problems from being taken from their mothers too soon.

I'd get your pup to obedience class as soon as he has all his puppy shots--that would put it at about 3 1/2 months old; even at Pet Smart, there are some good trainers who can refer you to behavioral people if what's going on with your dog is beyond their area of expertise with the basic puppy training.

The thing of it is, even in dominant breeds, a good trainer can make most dogs unlearn what unacceptable to you. Without beating the dog, too.

Best Answer

Denise--saw your second post ( my second here, too) on worrying about whether you can be forced to euthanize your puppy based on ten minutes with that "vet" ( using the term loosely here, because this clown doesn't sound like one).

Don't know your location, but check the animal control website for whatever town and county you're in; most will really spell out what their laws on dangerous dogs are. Where we live, it's not classified as one unless it's a known aggressive breed and/or any dog that has actually bitten a human or attacked another domesticated animal.

The laws vary wildly all over the country, but most do not permit a vet to euthanize an animal without the owner's permission unless the dog is actually in the process of a violent and unprovoked attack.

As I said earlier, I'd change vets pronto. To be safe,on your first visit-- ask that the puppy is muzzled and explain your experience with the previous vet. Report the first vet as soon as you can; he's promoting animal abuse ( and makes you wonder if he's slapping around his patients that are there for overnight stays or other procedures in which the owners aren't present).

To ease your mind a little, ask yourself a couple of questions: can you put your hand in the puppy's food bowl without him getting aggressive? Is he okay with you touching his paws, ears, inside of his mouth?

If you haven't done these things yet with him, start. The more you do, the less antsy he'll be when the new vet is prodding and poking.

Sending good thoughts your way; I don't have a Pit, but a Belgian Malinois. They are strong-willed, hyperactive and can also be intimidating; sometimes, you need to go vet-shopping to find the right one that really understands your breed and can actually help you to understand and control your dog.

First off, I would be getting a new vet, I would probably report this vet to your states AVMA as well. Now, couple of quick questions, did your dog behave in an aggressive manner? Did he bite at the vet?

Also, a lot depends on where you live. It is an unfortunate fact that several areas have breed specific laws that provide severe restrictions on so called "aggressive" breeds.

Never hit your dog! That is the most unprofessional advice I have ever heard! I would go to the library and get a good book on dog training. Also, do you have a kennel club in your area? If so they can probably provide you with the name of a breeder who breeds the pit bull type dogs, a good professional breeder can give you lots of advice. Good luck.

Vet must be reported. What an ahole. If there is aggression, sometimes that comes from being vaccinated. This can happen at any age. Look it up on the internet.. It is the mercury in the vaccine which has gone to the brain. It will take time and patience and care and supplements to cure. good luck.

Never hit your dog (or any animal) and, as others have said, 'report the vet' and get a new vet! Also, call your local ASPCA and/or local animal shelter for guidance on your local laws.

Please, you and your puppy must go to obedience classes 'now'! Pit Bulls are a very, very aggressive breed and you need to get him under control now before he hurts someone! Not only are there fines if your baby ends up hurting someone but there is also possible jail time for you if he does and the authorities can force euthanasia of him :-(

This is serious business and you need to get control!

I got him when he was 5 weeks old. I never said he was aggressive. The vet did cause they grabbed his skin under his neck and held him like that for atleast 10-15 min. He is very social and loves everyone even strangers.He just has a problem biting but that is natural since he is a puppy. I live in Colorado. I have already spoke to someone at petsmart and we are fixing to start classes. I would never hit my baby.

My problem was, Can they euthanize a puppy at his age just because of a vet spending 10 min. with him? He is not aggressive at all, just very hyper and rambunctious. He already sits on command, Walks well on leash and I am currently kennel training him. Thank ytou everyone for your responses they were very helpful

Get another vet and spread the word about that jerk! I would suggest good, solid training by a pro before your furbaby does become aggressive. Good luck!

A 10 week old puppy cannot be aggressive it's like saying a newborn cries on purpose I think your vet is anti pit bull and you need to consult a trainer in your area.

Pitbulls / amstaffs were breed to be nanny dogs, then later on breed to fight. If don't teach your dog to attack, you will realize that pitbulls love kids more than anything. They are more people dogs. I got my pitbull puppy early at 5 and half weeks. I seen you got your around that time. When you take a pitbull puppy or most puppies from their moms before 8-12 weeks the mother didn't get to train it enough and will be aggressive from what I noticed from my puppy compared to her siblings who were taking after mine.

I and probably other people had to work the aggression out of your puppy. I didn't train my puppy to bite and get mad but she was and I got it out of her. She loves everyone and wants to give everyone kisses my biggest problem is a lot of my friends have her siblings, and I try to get them to play and my dog will attack her siblings. She plays good with other dogs but not with her siblings from the same litter.

I wanna try the spray bottle thing I noticed on numerous sites that what works and I can see it working. Pinning your dog down when it's misbehaving works very, very well. I normally pin my dog down, calm her down then. When she's calm, give her another chance. If she fails. I leave the dog park or get away from the other dog immediately. If your dog is like mine; if your grab it by the collar when in a fight, it will really want to rip the dog apart. So grab it by the back of the legs. Hope this helps.

Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Pit BullFebruary 16, 2010
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Pit Bull Mix
Pit Bull Mix Photos
Aggressive Puppy
Training an Aggressive Puppy
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 10:13:33 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.