Preparing Lettuce

Instead of cutting lettuce with a knife, tear it with your fingers. It will help prevent the edges from browning.

I've been doing this for years. I think it is just easier too. I don't wash the whole head of lettuce either.....I just pull off some big hunks of lettuce, wash, dry on paper towels and then shred up with a knife or tear up for tossed salad.

I wrap the rest of the unwashed lettuce in paper towels, followed by some foil and then slip into a plastic bag. I think the lettuce lasts longer this way.

This is not about preparing lettuce it is a recipe that I have used for years. I don't know if you have heard of wilted lettuce. Most people use leaf lettuce for this but I use iceberg. Tear it like you are making a salad put some salt and vinegar on it. Then in a skillet heat some bacon grease and canola oil until smoking quickly pour this over the lettuce and stir will pouring the grease over it. Oh yes, I also put onions in with the lettuce. A piece of cornbread and that is all you need.

November 13, 2011 Flag

Is it true that lettuce "rusts" quicker if you cut it with a knife?

By Heather

This has been a long running dispute among professionals and novices alike for decades, maybe even centuries, and I don't think anyone really knows with any scientific certainty ;-)

I've prepared lettuce both ways for over four decades (for time saving I prepare enough lettuce for the week) and have seen no discernible difference between those two methods. However, I have noticed that a dull knife versus a sharp knife can make a difference. Probably because a dull knife is more prone to 'crush/weaken' the edges.

The one thing that will rust/brown lettuce more quickly than how you prepare it is moisture. If you line the storage container with a paper towel or two, put in the prepared lettuce and then top with another paper towel or two your lettuce will last much longer because the towels draw the moisture away from the lettuce.

I understand if you cut lettuce using a chef knife, slicing off what you need then wrapping lettuce in wet paper towels. The lettuce would last longer.

I would say so, yes.

If you use a plastic knife you will have no problems.

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesJanuary 4, 2007
A variety of lettuce.
Storing Lettuce
Iceberg Lettuce
Growing Iceberg Lettuce
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce