Grasshoppers Eating Flowers

Category Pest Control
Grasshoppers are a garden pest that enjoy eating plants. This guide is about preventing grasshoppers from eating flowers.

Q: Need Your help. Grasshoppers eating all my flowers in my garden, and i have alot of flowers. I have sprayed 4 times and they are still munching away. Please help. Thanks

Sharyl

A: Sharyl,

Grasshoppers are tough to control during all life-cycle stages, and unfortunately, the adults are nearly impossible to kill through the use of spraying traditional insecticides alone. Consider replacing chemical treatments with organic methods such as biological control. Nosema locustae (commonly sold as Nolo Bait, Grasshopper spore or Semaspore) is a protozoan disease of grasshoppers. It is considered an option for long-term control and you won't see results immediately. It will take about a year to noticeably affect grasshopper populations. If you're able to house them, small flocks of chickens can provide an immediate solution as well as providing you fresh eggs. If zoning laws (or preferences) prevent you from keeping chickens, consider making your backyard garden attractive to native birds-who in turn will help control your grasshoppers. At the end of the growing season, till soil under to expose grasshoppers eggs to killing temperatures.

By guest client (Guest Post)

I have this problem also and did some research online. A lot of sites I visited said to buy a product called Nolo Bait and apply it around and on your plants/flowers and it's supposed to keep the grasshoppers away. I haven't tried it yet but plan to soon. Hope this helps.

As a Buddhist I'm not allowed to kill other living beings. When I have things in my garden that are ruining it - cats, insects such as harvester ants, javelinas - I spray plants with water mixed with crushed garlic or eucalyptus oil, or I use an old yogurt tub with holes poked in the top to shake cayenne or white pepper around plants. That usually deters critters without killing anything. The one thing about grasshoppers though is that they are migrant and should move on and not return anyway.

Chickens work, except on those RED grasshoppers in far West TX.

Those are the smartest grasshoppers I've ever seen. They will sit really still, while the chicken walks all around them, then sneek off when it turns its back!

General something is what they are called. My dumb chickens didn't have a chance!

some bug eating my red hot pokers, what can i do to stop this happening?

teresa

One day i was mowing the lawn and i lookeddown and saw a Bold Red Grass hopper! Not red legged actually red all over! I ran inside and told my family and they don't believe me sooo please help me!

we just found a bold red grasshopper in finlayson minnesota!

can I have a grasshopper as a pet what do they eat and most of all are they not dangerous to have near.

Editor's Note: We posted this as a new request Maria:

http://www.thri  f564854.tip.html

HELP!!! I have a grasshopper as a pet and I don't know what it eats!!

From http://140.247.  es/diet/diet.htm

"Grasshoppers are not easy to keep in captivity and most will die soon despite your best efforts to keep them alive. They require relatively low humidity and a lot of sun, which can be very difficult to provide in a small jar or terrarium. Still, some species can be kept alive for some time. Grasshoppers of the genus Melanoplus in North America can be fed grass and carrots, and will live for many weeks if their containers are large, dry and clean."

Thanks for the tips! I tried what you said and it actually worked! Thank you very much again! BYE!!!!

I moved to my house 2 years ago, I had lovely established roses in the garden and had bought my potted roses from my rental with me, and within a year the crickets/grasshoppers had killed all my potted roses and decimated my established ones. I pruned well this year, weeded well, fed the roses with Black Marvel, and they are ready to flower. They look so lovely, and the crickets are back badly, hundreds of tiny green ones and a couple of massive big greyish brown ones, so far. Last year I used to pick off everyone of them, whilst watering by hand, and killing them, but to no avail. I obviously have to treat the soil as well as the plant, but they have had their way here for years I'd say. I need to kill them and quickly before they kill off my roses before they even put out a rose! Help.

By Jules from Perth