Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Caring for Pet Grasshoppers

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Pet Grasshopper

Children love to bring home all sorts of pets, from bugs to frogs. This is a guide about caring for pet grasshoppers.

Here are questions related to Caring for Pet Grasshoppers.

Question: Pet Grasshoppers

Grasshopper on blue plastic saguaro.How do pet grasshoppers lay eggs? Do they dig a hole in their food? What do grasshoppers eggs look like? Could you send me a picture? I am scared that when I clean the jar he lives in I will clean its eggs away.

By Ho Li Lian

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn [361]06/19/2013

They will lay their eggs in the sand. I wouldn't worry to much about throwing them out. You will probably see them.They look like little brown pieces of rice.
Here is a bit of information on keeping them as pets like children in Japan do:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7436537_can-grasshoppers-survive-indoors_.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101010175152AAzbxBt

You might just put the eggs in a pot of soil outdoors and let them hatch outside unless you want hundreds of them. :)

I used to keep a pet cricket. I was able to watch him mold his outer coat, and also he would sing. Grasshoppers and Crickets are amazing pets.

Have fun, Robyn from Tennessee

Question: Grasshoppers as Pets

I have a grasshopper as a pet, how do I take care of it? Does it need sun light to live?

By Khanh Hy from Australia

Most Recent Answer

By tobicat10/04/2011

I'm so happy someone else out there appreciates life as much as me and my children do. We were appalled by all the "How to Kill" sites. The lubber is one of the sweetest, most docile pets we have ever kept. In fact, we are waiting on an egg sack hatch. I can't wait to see her babies! They hatch out all black, then change into colorful adults.

Grassy, the smaller male, loves lilies, bromilliads, carrots, banana peels and romaine lettuce. He also enjoys rodent seed mixtures. The grasshoppers will also drink water from a shallow bottle lid. All animals require sunlight, so if you are unable to take him or her outside, provide it with full spectrum UV lighting.

My 6 year old son especially enjoys to watch TV while the lubber sits on his hand and seems to "watch" with him. I have also noticed the males tend to stop eating if he is kept alone. The males very much enjoy female company and will hug his companion sometimes for more than one day at a time. Thank you for keeping and not killing the grasshoppers. We all have a place!

Question: Keeping a Grasshopper as a Pet

Do the cream colored grasshoppers like the sunlight or the dark better?

By Lindsey

Question: Caring for a Grasshopper

We have a big garden full of these beautiful lubbers which I really love and adore. However, we recently had our landscaper cut a bush and the next day to my horror I found, on what was left of the bush, a sweet little nymph lubber with a humongous abscess on it, coming from his back, area connected to the head (but abscess not connected to his head). I don't know exactly what it is or where it's from or what I can do to help him. But any information at all would be helpful.

Currently I am housing him inside, in an open airy box full of the leaves that he likes and some water. He is hardly moving but having body/muscle spasms and obviously very weak he can hardly stand/move around.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or direction :(

By Cam

I have a grasshopper and I don't know if it's male or female. We can't go to an insect scientist cuz we don't have the money. To add to all of that, I don't know if the jar is big enough. I also don't know what to put the water in. Please help with a very detailed answer.

By M.J.H. from from Chandler, AZ

Most Recent Answer

By Joan [19]04/13/2014

Hi MJH:
If you were able to go to an "insect scientist" I am sure he would tell you to be kind to the grasshopper and let him go free. He is not happy living in a jar - would you be? - He needs to be out there in the grass, hopping around with the rest of his family. I am sure, if you think about it, you will do the right thing. Best wishes.

Question: Keeping a Pet Grasshopper

What do grasshoppers need to live? What kind of food? How much water do they need to drink?

By Makala C.

Question: Grasshopper Babies

How do I help to deliver the baby grasshopper?

By Dechen from Seattle, WA

Most Recent Answer

By Cheryl [3]09/12/2013

You don't. Grasshoppers lay eggs, and trust me, they need no help from you! :) They are more than capable of reproducing on their own for many, many generations.

Question: Keeping a Grasshopper

I recently found a grasshopper and a cricket outside of my home. I wanted to keep them as pets. They are in a jar with grass now. Where do I put them where they can be safe and live healthily.

I do not have a aquarium. So where else can I put them?

By Genaya A

Most Recent Answer

By dupperdog [2]08/16/2013

You can keep them in the jar for a few days as long as the jar is not too small and it has a way for air to get in, such as a screen top or a metal lid with plenty of holes. Give them new grass and weeds to eat every day while you have them.

After watching them for a few days, let them go. Wild crickets and grasshoppers really do not want to be pets. At this time of year, most of them are interested in breeding and laying eggs which they really can't do inside a jar of aquarium.

If you would like to keep crickets as pets, you can get some at a pet store or bait shop. They are happy to live in an aquarium or large jar with a little bit of soil in the bottom. They eat things like oatmeal and will chirp in your house all winter.

Question: Feeding a Graddhopper

How much food should you give your grasshopper a day?

By Luke

Question: Caring for a Grasshopper Living on Balcony

So I live on the 6th floor and a grasshopper somehow made his way up to my balcony, and he's been up here for about 2 weeks!  I kept expecting him to be gone, but he hasn't gone, and I guess I have a new pet! Never would I have expected this and I have no idea how he got up here other than climbing(?). Can they fly up high?

I put out some some carrots because he's is living in a flower pot and eating the flowers (marigolds). He is actually eating the bloom buds which may be killing them, and I want my flowers to thrive.

I would never ever hurt him, and actually very much love and respect nature (perhaps that's why he picked my balcony?). I'm kinda freaked out she (?) will lay eggs and then what will I do? I can't have dozens of grasshoppers up here! In other words he's up here on his own free will, and seems happy. :) Any input would be appreciated. Also I'm trying to figure out what kind he is. He seems to be an adult at about 2 inches long, green with what seem like black stripes along his body and he has wings. I'm in Denver, Colorado, if that helps.

By Julieta from Denver, CO

Most Recent Answer

By Linda H.08/05/2013

I don`t have great answers, but want to comment since you took out time to create this post. First I would Google grasshopper types and see what you can learn. And, I guess I would just buy a whole lot more Marigolds since you know it is a hit!

Question: Keeping a Grasshopper

My daughter wants to know how to train a grasshopper so it's tame when held. I think one is an adult and the other is nearing adulthood.

By eebee from Kent

Most Recent Answer

By Cricket [201]11/06/2010

It is impossible to train any insect. They don't have that capacity. If she wants to keep them she and you need to understand that part. What you both need to learn about is what their physical needs are. Foods, water, light, space, what their natural habitat is like and set up an aquarium as close as possible to that. Also understand that insects breed like crazy so while she may only have 2 now, if they are male and female you are liable to have a house full of grasshoppers soon.

You should really contact an entomologist (insect specialist) for the information you need.

Solutions: Caring for Pet Grasshoppers

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!