Caring for Pet Grasshoppers

Children love to bring home all sorts of pets, from bugs to frogs. This is a guide about caring for pet grasshoppers.

What do brown grasshoppers eat?

By Carestin

Best Answer

I found a grass hopper that is brown with bumps on his back and is two inches long. I really loved it and put it in a butterfly net. I recommend to search up how to tell their gender and put leaves, a water bowl with water, and another bowl with some leaves and roots.

If your grasshopper is smaller than give it softer things that are easy to chew and are juicy. If larger then give it hardish things that are also juicy. Keep visiting your grasshopper so she or he never gets lonely. That's all and good luck!

Anonymous

grass, soft leaf tips or fruit depending on the climate the bug is from.

How do pet grasshoppers lay eggs? Do they dig a hole in their food? What do grasshoppers eggs look like? Could you send me a picture? I am scared that when I clean the jar he lives in I will clean its eggs away.

By Ho Li Lian

Answer Was this helpful? 2

They will lay their eggs in the sand. I wouldn't worry to much about throwing them out. You will probably see them.They look like little brown pieces of rice.

Here is a bit of information on keeping them as pets like children in Japan do:

http://www.ehow  ve-indoors_.html

http://answers.  010175152AAzbxBt

You might just put the eggs in a pot of soil outdoors and let them hatch outside unless you want hundreds of them. :)

I used to keep a pet cricket. I was able to watch him mold his outer coat, and also he would sing. Grasshoppers and Crickets are amazing pets.

Have fun, Robyn from Tennessee

Anonymous

after mating, female lays hundreds of tiny eggs in soil.

I caught a grasshopper and put it in a butterfly house. I put sticks, leaves, roots, grass, water, and the grasshopper is crawling around unsure and when I change the water it hops. I saw it poop so I think it is eating the roots, but I don't know what it needs. It is brown and has bumps on his back and we couldn't find that speices on the internet so we think it is a new species. It is two inches long and I know it is a female for it has the egg laying tube. I want to know how old it is and how much longer will it live. If you can please answer those questions and give me some advice.

By nicolemd515

Put in fresh grass every day. Another thing it will eat is wheat bran (like raisin bran but without the raisins).

If you think it might lay eggs, it needs a small box of dirt to lay the eggs in.

Anonymous

Try to look at it's color

What does a grasshopper eat?

By Fateh

Anonymous

A nymph or ( baby grasshoppers) eat tender shoots of grass or clovers because they are both soft and easy to digest.

Anonymous

Leaves

I have a grasshopper as a pet, how do I take care of it? Does it need sun light to live?

By Khanh Hy from Australia

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Here's what I found on WikiAnswers:To take care of a grasshopper you have to give it plants and to eat and hop on, for grasshoppers do not eat insects like mantis's and wetas. put dirt and plants at the bottom of the cage which should be a jar or fish tank. make sure there are air hoes for breathing. For water soak a cotton ball often.

Hope this helps.

I'm so happy someone else out there appreciates life as much as me and my children do. We were appalled by all the "How to Kill" sites. The lubber is one of the sweetest, most docile pets we have ever kept. In fact, we are waiting on an egg sack hatch. I can't wait to see her babies! They hatch out all black, then change into colorful adults.

Grassy, the smaller male, loves lilies, bromilliads, carrots, banana peels and romaine lettuce. He also enjoys rodent seed mixtures. The grasshoppers will also drink water from a shallow bottle lid. All animals require sunlight, so if you are unable to take him or her outside, provide it with full spectrum UV lighting.

My 6 year old son especially enjoys to watch TV while the lubber sits on his hand and seems to "watch" with him. I have also noticed the males tend to stop eating if he is kept alone. The males very much enjoy female company and will hug his companion sometimes for more than one day at a time. Thank you for keeping and not killing the grasshoppers. We all have a place!

How do I help to deliver the baby grasshopper?

By Dechen from Seattle, WA

My lubber grasshopper is currently laying eggs, she seems to have one stuck! She is having a hard time walking and climbing...what do I do!?!

Anonymous

It might be best to keep her warm and place food for the babies clovers or tender shoots

We have a big garden full of these beautiful lubbers which I really love and adore. However, we recently had our landscaper cut a bush and the next day to my horror I found, on what was left of the bush, a sweet little nymph lubber with a humongous abscess on it, coming from his back, area connected to the head (but abscess not connected to his head). I don't know exactly what it is or where it's from or what I can do to help him. But any information at all would be helpful.

Currently I am housing him inside, in an open airy box full of the leaves that he likes and some water. He is hardly moving but having body/muscle spasms and obviously very weak he can hardly stand/move around.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or direction :(

By Cam

It might be kind to euthanize it, It would stop the pain.

I don't know if there is any way to fix this problem. I'm sorry.

What do grasshoppers need to live? What kind of food? How much water do they need to drink?

By Makala C.

Grasshoppers do not need water they get the water they need from the food they eat. I have alot of grasshoppers as I breed them. I would suggest giving the grasshopper something with alot of liquid. I started with leaves and switched to apples thinly sliced cuz of the moisture in the apple. They love it.

Anonymous

thanks i just bought five they

are so pretty.....how do i breed

them.....gonna give them wheatgrass and organic alfalfa.....stuff like that

We live in the woods and "catch and release" critters all the time. Our weather has been bonkers lately alternating between warm and cold days. My son found and caught a grasshopper this weekend. We're hesitant to release it since it is now pretty cold and the forecast shows cool or cold weather in our future.
Can we keep it in a small aquarium? How long will it live? It is a big one. Biggest I've ever seen, so definitely an adult. It's currently in a large jar with moss and magnolia leaves, which it is eating.
Any advice on habitat, food, water is appreciated!
We are around moss, pine, and magnolias, as far as things that are still green goes.

By AJ from Hillsborough, NC

A grasshopper can live for a year. Don't know how old yours is. You'll have to grow grass in your terrarium. Put soil down and untreated seeds. Also, plant some wheat grass from the grocery store because he'll need something to eat in the mean time. He can also eat bran flakes.

I found a grasshopper in the middle of the path. I discovered it was a bit black and burnt underneath and looks a bit swollen. I've put it in a net butterfly house. It's not really hopping and is a bit wobbly, but is wandering around. Is there anything else I can do to help the poor fella, or would it be really suffering and be kinder to euthanize?

By Jess

First of all, that's a katydid. Second, they don't live that long anyway. I'd let this full grown female go on the off chance she's pregnant. Let her go in a safe place where she can lay her eggs. As long as she can walk, she'll be fine.

I have a grasshopper and I don't know if it's male or female. We can't go to an insect scientist cuz we don't have the money. To add to all of that, I don't know if the jar is big enough. I also don't know what to put the water in. Please help with a very detailed answer.

By M.J.H. from from Chandler, AZ

Hi MJH:

If you were able to go to an "insect scientist" I am sure he would tell you to be kind to the grasshopper and let him go free. He is not happy living in a jar - would you be? - He needs to be out there in the grass, hopping around with the rest of his family. I am sure, if you think about it, you will do the right thing. Best wishes.

My daughter wants to know how to train a grasshopper so it's tame when held. I think one is an adult and the other is nearing adulthood.

By eebee from Kent

It is impossible to train any insect. They don't have that capacity. If she wants to keep them she and you need to understand that part. What you both need to learn about is what their physical needs are. Foods, water, light, space, what their natural habitat is like and set up an aquarium as close as possible to that. Also understand that insects breed like crazy so while she may only have 2 now, if they are male and female you are liable to have a house full of grasshoppers soon.

You should really contact an entomologist (insect specialist) for the information you need.

Anonymous

I have many times trained grasshoppers the trick as with any other wild animal is to get him/her to trust you don't pick it up that frightens it instead put your hand inside it's artificial environment and let it get used to your hand touch it gently and try to get it to craw on you if it doesn't right away be patient! Grasshoppers are very intelligent creatures it has to understand that your not trying to hurt it once you have it on your hand keep your hand still and slowly lift it out of the environment there you have it repeat this action as often as possible and soon you will have a trusting tamed grasshopper

My mother was weeding and she found a grasshopper laying eggs. Before she saw the grasshopper she somehow uncovered the area where the grasshopper was laying her eggs. I didn't want them to be totally exposed so I put them in an 10 gallon aquarium I used to keep my rats in. I washed it out and put dirt on the bottom. I also added some grass, sticks, and rocks. I then carefully put the eggs into the aquarium and buried them under a little bit of dirt. After that I did some research on how to care for grasshoppers. I think I know enough to care for them now, but I cannot find the answer to this question. What kind/brand of soil/dirt should I put in the aquarium? I will carefully change the soil if need be, I just need to know if I should change it and if so, what is a good brand that is safe for grasshoppers? Thank you for reading and/or answering.

I recently found a grasshopper and a cricket outside of my home. I wanted to keep them as pets. They are in a jar with grass now. Where do I put them where they can be safe and live healthily.

I do not have a aquarium. So where else can I put them?

By Genaya A

You can keep them in the jar for a few days as long as the jar is not too small and it has a way for air to get in, such as a screen top or a metal lid with plenty of holes. Give them new grass and weeds to eat every day while you have them.

After watching them for a few days, let them go. Wild crickets and grasshoppers really do not want to be pets. At this time of year, most of them are interested in breeding and laying eggs which they really can't do inside a jar of aquarium.

If you would like to keep crickets as pets, you can get some at a pet store or bait shop. They are happy to live in an aquarium or large jar with a little bit of soil in the bottom. They eat things like oatmeal and will chirp in your house all winter.

So I live on the 6th floor and a grasshopper somehow made his way up to my balcony, and he's been up here for about 2 weeks!  I kept expecting him to be gone, but he hasn't gone, and I guess I have a new pet! Never would I have expected this and I have no idea how he got up here other than climbing(?). Can they fly up high?

I put out some some carrots because he's is living in a flower pot and eating the flowers (marigolds). He is actually eating the bloom buds which may be killing them, and I want my flowers to thrive.

I would never ever hurt him, and actually very much love and respect nature (perhaps that's why he picked my balcony?). I'm kinda freaked out she (?) will lay eggs and then what will I do? I can't have dozens of grasshoppers up here! In other words he's up here on his own free will, and seems happy. :) Any input would be appreciated. Also I'm trying to figure out what kind he is. He seems to be an adult at about 2 inches long, green with what seem like black stripes along his body and he has wings. I'm in Denver, Colorado, if that helps.

By Julieta from Denver, CO

I don`t have great answers, but want to comment since you took out time to create this post. First I would Google grasshopper types and see what you can learn. And, I guess I would just buy a whole lot more Marigolds since you know it is a hit!

How do I make a grasshopper habitat?

By Louise from South Lake, WA

Do the cream colored grasshoppers like the sunlight or the dark better?

By Lindsey

How much food should you give your grasshopper a day?

By Luke

I have a grasshopper as a pet. How do I take care of him?

By miracle

Answers:

Keeping a Grasshopper

Be an angel and set him in some tall grass so he can continue to be a grasshopper like Mother Nature wants him to be. If you watch him a minute, he will hop a few times. That is how grasshoppers say "thank you!" (08/18/2010)

By IRVINETERR

I found a grasshopper and I put him in a little glass container. He likes to hide so I put soil in half of the container and his favorite hideout is a cup and I set that on a paper towel. I put a flower pot holder as a food bowl to hold his grass and lettuce and carrots.

By Baylee from Dublin, Ireland

Answers:

Keeping a Grasshopper

What a beautiful post this is, how lovely to take care of the little things as well as the big ones. I would say that you had a really happy grasshopper.
Perhaps he could do with a friend?
Thanks for making me smile and feel good with this.
(07/28/2008)

By Leah from Australia

How do you take care of grasshopper babies?

Kavon from New York, NY

Answers:

Grasshoppers as Pets

Keeping pet orthoptera is fairly easy, but depending on the species, there are minor adjustments that ought to be made.

Katydids are very friendly, but timid, and very fragile. Those legs break off very easily, so don't grab them if you want to catch them. Hold out your hand and let them come to you. Most species will nibble on your fingers.

Crickets are the easiest to acquire en masse, just go to the pet store and buy them. I never bothered with keeping them as pets because they never sit still.

Caelifera, which include a large variety of grasshoppers and locusts, is the superfamily that separates these creatures from the rest of the order Orthoptera.

Differential grasshoppers are the friendliest, they will easily sit on your hand once you tame them (which is itself pretty easy).

Carolina grasshoppers, which are the brown grasshoppers with black wings and a yellow stripe around the rim, are the hardest to catch. Catch them when they are nymphs if you want one of these as a pet.

Most grasshoppers live for about 8 or 9 months. The longest I've kept a single grasshopper was until mid February, which I caught around November and was probably born around April, 10 months.

However, southern grasshoppers probably live longer. I've read something about how Eastern Lubber grasshoppers can live for several years.

Don't keep grasshoppers or katydids in tight spaces. They need their space. A 1 gallon bug container will be fine for a single differential grasshopper, but if you want to keep many of them, upgrade to 2.5, 5 or 10 gallon. The trade off is that it takes more work and patience to clean the substrate.

The substrate is the stuff at the bottom of the cage. Bagged potting soil would work very well and never needs to be cleaned. Seeding this with grass seed and watering it, possibly putting the soil itself on a mesh that allows some draining, will provide a good and constant source of food. Misting will allow the grasshoppers to drink, but they also get their water from the food they eat, so water the food. So far, none of the stuff in the cage came from the outside.

Other food includes salad greens (Spring greens from the grocery store are the best). If done right, (and one of these days I hope to accomplish this), the grasshopper may live twice its natural life span.

Feeding them grass from the outside, using dirt from the outside as a substrate and so on is easier to do, but the grasshoppers will not live as long because you will also introduce mold, diseases, and parasites not to mention the possibility of predatory insects and spiders hiding in the dirt.

Grasshoppers raised in store-bought potting soil with store bought grass seed in a controlled environment will not be quarantined from every disease. There is still the issue of obtaining grasshoppers from the outside, which is the best way (and also is pretty much free). I have no advice on what to do with a sick grasshopper. Taking it to a vet will probably earn you ridicule, although I've been working with grasshoppers for a while.

Breeding tips:

I have none. I have not figured out how to prevent the eggs from dying. Honestly, the best way is to make sure you have no pregnant grasshoppers in your cage.

When they are adults, find all the males with a bulbous end on their abdomen and smaller than the females. They also have longer antennae and bigger paws, and let them go. Any pregnant females should be let go, too. The rest you can keep for a longer period of time. The pregnant females will lay their eggs outside in their natural environment, which will then hatch and provide more baby grasshoppers for next year.

While I'm not fully certain about this, pregnancy may reduce the lifespan of a grasshopper. Male grasshoppers will not live very long after mating. They have achieved the one goal of their lives, procreation so they don't need to live anymore. If all the grasshoppers in your cage are of a single gender, there probably won't be any problems.

Lastly, a couple years ago I captured a large number of the biggest grasshoppers I could find. They were all pregnant. They laid eggs in the cage, all the eggs died. The following year, I hardly found any grasshoppers. Just now the population is beginning to rebound. Don't do what I did, let the grasshoppers be wild and if you get them as a pet, just take a couple and take them as large nymphs (because the smaller ones will probably escape through the air holes). (01/17/2009)

By Joseph T.

My Pets

I have 2 pet grasshoppers at the moment (Harbitt and Marlon), I keep them in my old hermit crab tank. I have newspaper on the bottom and they like to eat lettuce and tomato. I love them. (02/11/2009)

By Leah

Grasshoppers as Pets

My boyfriend and I had gone down to Everglades National Park over this summer, on the ride out of the park one day I kept seeing things on the roads. Finally we stopped to see what they were. It turned out to be one of the coolest grasshoppers Id seen, the Southern Lubber.

I picked up 1 and brought her back to NJ with me, where I kept her in a 5 gallon terrarium with moist topsoil. She ate constantly and almost as often had her abdomen in the dirt laying eggs.
Just today about 5 months later (poor mommy died about a month ago) I have a good 40 babies climbing around on the lamp above the tank that now houses a baby box turtle.

All I did was not disturb the substrate, deeper than a thin layer of the surface, and I kept it fairly moist. Never sopping wet with just a 60 watt bulb over top.
These little guys look great, I also found a few more groups of pupae looking things in the ground so I'm anticipating more little ones.
I have no idea what to do with them all. I guess I'll need to make a trip down south to let em go. (01/21/2010)

By Rhiannatime

What should I give a grasshopper to eat and drink?

Allison

Answers:

Grasshoppers as Pets

When I kept crickets to feed our toad, I would add dry oatmeal and a small potato. The crickets would get moisture from the potato. The potato does have to be replaced when it starts to go bad. I'm not sure what the oatmeal does, but the crickets did like it. (08/29/2008)

By Jane

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.