Caring for Pet Grasshoppers

Children love to bring home all sorts of pets, from bugs to frogs. This is a guide about caring for pet grasshoppers.

March 21, 2015 Flag

What do brown grasshoppers eat?

By Carestin

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I found a grass hopper that is brown with bumps on his back and is two inches long. I really loved it and put it in a butterfly net. I recommend to search up how to tell their gender and put leaves, a water bowl with water, and another bowl with some leaves and roots.

If your grasshopper is smaller than give it softer things that are easy to chew and are juicy. If larger then give it hardish things that are also juicy. Keep visiting your grasshopper so she or he never gets lonely. That's all and good luck!

grass, soft leaf tips or fruit depending on the climate the bug is from.

March 29, 2015 Flag

I caught a grasshopper and put it in a butterfly house. I put sticks, leaves, roots, grass, water, and the grasshopper is crawling around unsure and when I change the water it hops. I saw it poop so I think it is eating the roots, but I don't know what it needs. It is brown and has bumps on his back and we couldn't find that speices on the internet so we think it is a new species. It is two inches long and I know it is a female for it has the egg laying tube. I want to know how old it is and how much longer will it live. If you can please answer those questions and give me some advice.

By nicolemd515

Put in fresh grass every day. Another thing it will eat is wheat bran (like raisin bran but without the raisins).

If you think it might lay eggs, it needs a small box of dirt to lay the eggs in.

Try to look at it's color

December 2, 2014 Flag

What does a grasshopper eat?

By Fateh

A nymph or ( baby grasshoppers) eat tender shoots of grass or clovers because they are both soft and easy to digest.

Leaves

June 17, 2013 Flag

How do pet grasshoppers lay eggs? Do they dig a hole in their food? What do grasshoppers eggs look like? Could you send me a picture? I am scared that when I clean the jar he lives in I will clean its eggs away.

By Ho Li Lian

They will lay their eggs in the sand. I wouldn't worry to much about throwing them out. You will probably see them.They look like little brown pieces of rice.

Here is a bit of information on keeping them as pets like children in Japan do:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7436537_can-grasshoppers-survive-indoors_.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101010175152AAzbxBt

You might just put the eggs in a pot of soil outdoors and let them hatch outside unless you want hundreds of them. :)

I used to keep a pet cricket. I was able to watch him mold his outer coat, and also he would sing. Grasshoppers and Crickets are amazing pets.

Have fun, Robyn from Tennessee

after mating, female lays hundreds of tiny eggs in soil.

September 10, 2013 Flag

How do I help to deliver the baby grasshopper?

By Dechen from Seattle, WA

My lubber grasshopper is currently laying eggs, she seems to have one stuck! She is having a hard time walking and climbing...what do I do!?!

It might be best to keep her warm and place food for the babies clovers or tender shoots

May 24, 2014 Flag

We have a big garden full of these beautiful lubbers which I really love and adore. However, we recently had our landscaper cut a bush and the next day to my horror I found, on what was left of the bush, a sweet little nymph lubber with a humongous abscess on it, coming from his back, area connected to the head (but abscess not connected to his head). I don't know exactly what it is or where it's from or what I can do to help him. But any information at all would be helpful.

Currently I am housing him inside, in an open airy box full of the leaves that he likes and some water. He is hardly moving but having body/muscle spasms and obviously very weak he can hardly stand/move around.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or direction :(

By Cam

It might be kind to euthanize it, It would stop the pain.

I don't know if there is any way to fix this problem. I'm sorry.

November 20, 2010 Flag

I have a grasshopper as a pet, how do I take care of it? Does it need sun light to live?

By Khanh Hy from Australia

Here's what I found on WikiAnswers:To take care of a grasshopper you have to give it plants and to eat and hop on, for grasshoppers do not eat insects like mantis's and wetas. put dirt and plants at the bottom of the cage which should be a jar or fish tank. make sure there are air hoes for breathing. For water soak a cotton ball often.

Hope this helps.

I'm so happy someone else out there appreciates life as much as me and my children do. We were appalled by all the "How to Kill" sites. The lubber is one of the sweetest, most docile pets we have ever kept. In fact, we are waiting on an egg sack hatch. I can't wait to see her babies! They hatch out all black, then change into colorful adults.

Grassy, the smaller male, loves lilies, bromilliads, carrots, banana peels and romaine lettuce. He also enjoys rodent seed mixtures. The grasshoppers will also drink water from a shallow bottle lid. All animals require sunlight, so if you are unable to take him or her outside, provide it with full spectrum UV lighting.

My 6 year old son especially enjoys to watch TV while the lubber sits on his hand and seems to "watch" with him. I have also noticed the males tend to stop eating if he is kept alone. The males very much enjoy female company and will hug his companion sometimes for more than one day at a time. Thank you for keeping and not killing the grasshoppers. We all have a place!

September 15, 2013 Flag

What do grasshoppers need to live? What kind of food? How much water do they need to drink?

By Makala C.

Grasshoppers do not need water they get the water they need from the food they eat. I have alot of grasshoppers as I breed them. I would suggest giving the grasshopper something with alot of liquid. I started with leaves and switched to apples thinly sliced cuz of the moisture in the apple. They love it.

thanks i just bought five they

are so pretty.....how do i breed

them.....gonna give them wheatgrass and organic alfalfa.....stuff like that

December 8, 2014 Flag

We live in the woods and "catch and release" critters all the time. Our weather has been bonkers lately alternating between warm and cold days. My son found and caught a grasshopper this weekend. We're hesitant to release it since it is now pretty cold and the forecast shows cool or cold weather in our future.
Can we keep it in a small aquarium? How long will it live? It is a big one. Biggest I've ever seen, so definitely an adult. It's currently in a large jar with moss and magnolia leaves, which it is eating.
Any advice on habitat, food, water is appreciated!
We are around moss, pine, and magnolias, as far as things that are still green goes.

By AJ from Hillsborough, NC

A grasshopper can live for a year. Don't know how old yours is. You'll have to grow grass in your terrarium. Put soil down and untreated seeds. Also, plant some wheat grass from the grocery store because he'll need something to eat in the mean time. He can also eat bran flakes.

September 19, 2014 Flag

I found a grasshopper in the middle of the path. I discovered it was a bit black and burnt underneath and looks a bit swollen. I've put it in a net butterfly house. It's not really hopping and is a bit wobbly, but is wandering around. Is there anything else I can do to help the poor fella, or would it be really suffering and be kinder to euthanize?

By Jess

First of all, that's a katydid. Second, they don't live that long anyway. I'd let this full grown female go on the off chance she's pregnant. Let her go in a safe place where she can lay her eggs. As long as she can walk, she'll be fine.

Load More
Pets AdviceJune 28, 2013
Grasshopper on Rock
Getting Rid of Grasshoppers Naturally
Cat and Dog Sitting Together
Caring for Your Spayed or Neutered Pet
pet mantis religiosa
Keeping Insects as Pets
A grasshopper on a pink flower.
Grasshoppers Eating Flowers
🎄