Grasshoppers Eating Flowers

Category Pest Control
Grasshoppers are a garden pest that enjoy eating plants. This guide is about preventing grasshoppers from eating flowers.

Q: Need Your help. Grasshoppers eating all my flowers in my garden, and i have alot of flowers. I have sprayed 4 times and they are still munching away. Please help. Thanks

Sharyl

A: Sharyl,

Grasshoppers are tough to control during all life-cycle stages, and unfortunately, the adults are nearly impossible to kill through the use of spraying traditional insecticides alone. Consider replacing chemical treatments with organic methods such as biological control. Nosema locustae (commonly sold as Nolo Bait, Grasshopper spore or Semaspore) is a protozoan disease of grasshoppers. It is considered an option for long-term control and you won't see results immediately. It will take about a year to noticeably affect grasshopper populations. If you're able to house them, small flocks of chickens can provide an immediate solution as well as providing you fresh eggs. If zoning laws (or preferences) prevent you from keeping chickens, consider making your backyard garden attractive to native birds-who in turn will help control your grasshoppers. At the end of the growing season, till soil under to expose grasshoppers eggs to killing temperatures.

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Depending on your situation this may or may not be possible but a couple of chickens are the perfect organic solution to grasshoppers - they love to eat them. And there's nothing more amusing that watching a chicken run and jump to catch a grasshopper! They may scratch up the mulch a little bit but keeping them in a pen and allowing them out for a couple of hours a day will minimize it.

Regards

Jo

By (Guest Post)

I have this problem also and did some research online. A lot of sites I visited said to buy a product called Nolo Bait and apply it around and on your plants/flowers and it's supposed to keep the grasshoppers away. I haven't tried it yet but plan to soon. Hope this helps.

As a Buddhist I'm not allowed to kill other living beings. When I have things in my garden that are ruining it - cats, insects such as harvester ants, javelinas - I spray plants with water mixed with crushed garlic or eucalyptus oil, or I use an old yogurt tub with holes poked in the top to shake cayenne or white pepper around plants.

That usually deters critters without killing anything. The one thing about grasshoppers though is that they are migrant and should move on and not return anyway.

By Judy (Guest Post)

Chickens work, except on those RED grasshoppers in far West TX.
Those are the smartest grasshoppers I've ever seen. They will sit really still, while the chicken walks all around them, then sneek off when it turns its back!
General something is what they are called. My dumb chickens didn't have a chance!

By (Guest Post)

some bug eating my red hot pokers, what can i do to stop this happening?

teresa

By Samantha Bland (Guest Post)

One day i was mowing the lawn and i lookeddown and saw a Bold Red Grass hopper! Not red legged actually red all over! I ran inside and told my family and they don't believe me sooo please help me!

By cody (Guest Post)

we just found a bold red grasshopper in finlayson minnesota!

By maria cabello (Guest Post)

can I have a grasshopper as a pet what do they eat and most of all are they not dangerous to have near.

Editor's Note: We posted this as a new request Maria:

http://www.thri  f564854.tip.html

I moved to my house 2 years ago, I had lovely established roses in the garden and had bought my potted roses from my rental with me, and within a year the crickets/grasshoppers had killed all my potted roses and decimated my established ones. I pruned well this year, weeded well, fed the roses with Black Marvel, and they are ready to flower. They look so lovely, and the crickets are back badly, hundreds of tiny green ones and a couple of massive big greyish brown ones, so far. Last year I used to pick off everyone of them, whilst watering by hand, and killing them, but to no avail. I obviously have to treat the soil as well as the plant, but they have had their way here for years I'd say. I need to kill them and quickly before they kill off my roses before they even put out a rose! Help.

By Jules from Perth