Caring for Pet Grasshoppers

Children love to bring home all sorts of pets, from bugs to frogs. This is a guide about caring for pet grasshoppers.

How do I help to deliver the baby grasshopper?

By Dechen from Seattle, WA

Answers

Best Answer

You don't. Grasshoppers lay eggs, and trust me, they need no help from you! They are more than capable of reproducing on their own for many, many generations.

I caught a grasshopper and put it in a butterfly house. I put sticks, leaves, roots, grass, water, and the grasshopper is crawling around unsure and when I change the water it hops. I saw it poop so I think it is eating the roots, but I don't know what it needs. It is brown and has bumps on his back and we couldn't find that speices on the internet so we think it is a new species. It is two inches long and I know it is a female for it has the egg laying tube. I want to know how old it is and how much longer will it live. If you can please answer those questions and give me some advice.

By nicolemd515

Answers

Best Answer

Put in fresh grass every day. Another thing it will eat is wheat bran (like raisin bran but without the raisins).

If you think it might lay eggs, it needs a small box of dirt to lay the eggs in.

I found this pale colored grasshopper on the floor of my room. I think one of my cats was messing with it. It's lying on its back, but can barely move itself. Idk if I should put it down which I would hate to do or let it go, but I don't want it to get eaten.

Can someone help me out?

Answers

Best Answer

Grasshoppers aren't like lizards and can't regrow their tails. If it is badly injured it might die. I would try and keep it warm under a lamp light on your desk. Not too hot. Don't put the light on top of the grasshopper. Keep it in a small box and fill the box with some leaves or grass.

What does a grasshopper eat?

By Fateh

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

A nymph or (baby grasshoppers) eat tender shoots of grass or clovers because they are both soft and easy to digest.

What do brown grasshoppers eat?

By Carestin

Answers

Best Answer

I found a grass hopper that is brown with bumps on his back and is two inches long. I really loved it and put it in a butterfly net. I recommend to search up how to tell their gender and put leaves, a water bowl with water, and another bowl with some leaves and roots.

If your grasshopper is smaller than give it softer things that are easy to chew and are juicy. If larger then give it hardish things that are also juicy. Keep visiting your grasshopper so she or he never gets lonely. That's all and good luck!

We live in the woods and "catch and release" critters all the time. Our weather has been bonkers lately alternating between warm and cold days. My son found and caught a grasshopper this weekend. We're hesitant to release it since it is now pretty cold and the forecast shows cool or cold weather in our future.

Can we keep it in a small aquarium? How long will it live? It is a big one. Biggest I've ever seen, so definitely an adult. It's currently in a large jar with moss and magnolia leaves, which it is eating.
Any advice on habitat, food, water is appreciated!
We are around moss, pine, and magnolias, as far as things that are still green goes.

By AJ from Hillsborough, NC

Answers

Best Answer

A grasshopper can live for a year. You'll have to grow grass in your terrarium. Put soil down and untreated seeds. Also, plant some wheat grass from the grocery store because he'll need something to eat in the mean time. He can also eat bran flakes.

I recently found a grasshopper and a cricket outside of my home. I wanted to keep them as pets. They are in a jar with grass now. Where do I put them where they can be safe and live healthily.

I do not have a aquarium. So where else can I put them?

By Genaya A

Answers

Best Answer

You can keep them in the jar for a few days as long as the jar is not too small and it has a way for air to get in, such as a screen top or a metal lid with plenty of holes. Give them new grass and weeds to eat every day while you have them.

After watching them for a few days, let them go. Wild crickets and grasshoppers really do not want to be pets. At this time of year, most of them are interested in breeding and laying eggs which they really can't do inside a jar of aquarium.

If you would like to keep crickets as pets, you can get some at a pet store or bait shop. They are happy to live in an aquarium or large jar with a little bit of soil in the bottom. They eat things like oatmeal and will chirp in your house all winter.

Can I have a grasshopper as a pet? What do they eat and most of all are they not dangerous to have near?

Maria

Answers:

Keeping a Grasshopper as a Pet

My son and I have had a pet grasshopper for a bit now. It doesn't mind us holding it, and will sit on us for quite a while before climbing or jumping onto something else. Even right now, he is sitting on a plant next to my computer.

We keep it supplied with fresh leaves and grass from outside for food - I am hesitant to use leaves from my indoor plants because of fertilizers that may have been put on them before I bought the plants.

We put water in a small dish, and place him on the edge of the dish, or give him water on a spoon while we're holding him.

He has a cage, that we keep him in when we're not watching him - he moved one time when he was out of his cage, and it took us a week to find him! He was quite hungry and thirsty when we finally found him!

By Christy

Lettuce Leaves and Cricket Food

I have had a pet grasshopper for 3 months now. My daughter and I feed it lettuce, leaves, and now cricket food. He is very happy, and we just bought him a larger home.

By luckibear7

Keeping Katydid as Pets

My female Katydid, much like a grasshopper, enjoys eating fresh crisp lettuce along with dry oats, an occasional drop of honey, and a tad of soy powder.

Once she ate a dead male katydid that had I put in her habitat for companionship (no other live ones to be found).

Her habitat consists of a woven basket lined with grass clippings, and decorated with leafy branches clipped from bushes and bare branches for bridges.

She absolutely enjoys pine cones, both to play on and scrape off the sap for eating. The basket is set in the center of a huge plastic covered container for her safety.

For fresh air, I remove the top daily and keep an eye on her. If the air is dry, I use a mist spray bottle to spray her branches. I change her branches every couple of days.

By Eloise.

Our Pet Grasshopper

My boyfriend and I have had a grasshopper for about 2 months, he is called Tithonus. We don't keep him in a cage. We let him roam around on all our plants, and just put little bits of spinach or coriander leaves out for him, which he eats when he wants. He gets water when we water the plants. He is so happy and beautiful. We absolutely love him! I've uploaded a picture just so you can see!

By Kestrel

Load More