Keeping a Pet Grasshopper

I caught a grasshopper and put it in a butterfly house. I put sticks, leaves, roots, grass, water, and the grasshopper is crawling around unsure and when I change the water it hops. I saw it poop so I think it is eating the roots, but I don't know what it needs. It is brown and has bumps on his back and we couldn't find that speices on the internet so we think it is a new species.

It is two inches long and I know it is a female for it has the egg laying tube. I want to know how old it is and how much longer will it live. If you can please answer those questions and give me some advice.

By nicolemd515

Best Answer

Put in fresh grass every day. Another thing it will eat is wheat bran (like raisin bran but without the raisins).

If you think it might lay eggs, it needs a small box of dirt to lay the eggs in.

Anonymous

I have a small grasshopper as my pet. I don't know how to look after it and I'm afraid if it is going to live in my house. She's really cute and is very tiny. Any advice in keeping a grasshopper is well appreciated.

keep it away from other animals and put it in a container with holes.
make sure it has grass and is eating well and make sure it gets some sun and shade.

and spray its container every day one spray but a small spray.watch it make sure it has no broken legs bones or anything.

Try this site: http://www.keep … ts/grasshoppers/
Good luck!

There are over 14,000 species of grasshoppers, not including katydids and crickets, in the world. Your grasshopper is most probably not a new species.

Anonymous

Try to look at it's color