Keeping a Grasshopper

I recently found a grasshopper and a cricket outside of my home. I wanted to keep them as pets. They are in a jar with grass now. Where do I put them where they can be safe and live healthily.

I do not have a aquarium. So where else can I put them?

By Genaya A

Best Answer

You can keep them in the jar for a few days as long as the jar is not too small and it has a way for air to get in, such as a screen top or a metal lid with plenty of holes. Give them new grass and weeds to eat every day while you have them.

After watching them for a few days, let them go. Wild crickets and grasshoppers really do not want to be pets. At this time of year, most of them are interested in breeding and laying eggs which they really can't do inside a jar of aquarium.

If you would like to keep crickets as pets, you can get some at a pet store or bait shop. They are happy to live in an aquarium or large jar with a little bit of soil in the bottom. They eat things like oatmeal and will chirp in your house all winter.