What Type of Desk is This?

Can anyone tell me what kind of desk this is or what it was used for? The top table flips down pushing another inset table up. The desk is extremely heavy. I want to post on Craig's List, but would like some information first. Any input would be helpful. Thank you.

By Enza from Toronto, Ontario

Check with mfg' companies in Canada and see if you can learn the time period. It looks like veneer finish, but I'm not sure from the pic. Do a research on veneer furniture too for a better date. Did you look on the bottom of the desk for a label or the bottom of drawers or tabletop? Could very well be one located in those areas. Good luck,

Might it have been a typewriter desk? One where the typewriter could be hidden away. That or some sort of drafting desk. It looks more like office or school furniture than something for the home. I'm no expert though, just my thoughts! :-)

Pretty sure is was for typewriters.

Thank you to Foxrun, Tapestry Lady and Lorelei for your feedback and advise. I will check for any markings or labels to see if I can find a time frame. It's such a heavy piece of furniture. Please forgive me for not writing each one of you individually. Thank you all, your help is appreciated.

Have a great day wherever you are.

Enza

It looks like a typewriter desk to me. Maybe one that was used in typing classes in school. The typewriter lowered down into the desk when not in use. It protected the typewriter from dust.

Could it possible be an old 50's type sewing machine cabinet?

Ann Parker is correct. It is a typewriter desk and as a rule a heavy Underwood office type typewriter was on the part of the desk that folded down inside. This desk was found mostly in store offices and the office of a school principal. Except for color my desk is exactly like yours. It was stained a dark brown sometime before I received it.

Thank you all for your help your feedback on it being a typewriting desk is right. Macou33 directed me to EBAY where I saw a similar desk but my only has drawers on one side. At least now I have some background on the item. They really made things study and heavy back in the 50's big difference to our now disposable society. Again many thanks to all.

I know the desk exactly, my grandmother had one. Her's was made by The Imperial Desk Company and called "Imperial Secretary - The Supreme Typewriter Desk." If you go to http://books.google.com/ put in the search for Imperial supreme typewriter desk you will get an old business magazine that has an ad for the desk. Hope this helps.

I have just purchased one of these. However, it is missing a part that connects to the inside desk. I wish I had some pictures of the inside so I could see what was missing. Top goes back and table comes out but something on the back of this table (wood) is missing. If I could see what it looked like I could probably make the part and fix it. Could you send me a picture or two of your desk?

Peppersaltmilo, I tried to send you an email but Thrifty Fun won't recognize me as being logged in, anyway, I wish I could help you but I don't have the desk anymore. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

This absolutely is a desk for a typewriter, where the typewriter can be hidden away if desired. I have one and would like to find a way to value it more accurately. Any specific information would be greatly appreciated.

Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesOctober 12, 2010
Leather Topped Desk
Removing Paper Stuck to a Leather Topped Desk
Drawer Organizer
Desk Drawer Organizer Ideas
Desk Calendar
Making A Desk Calendar
A messy computer desk.
Organizing Your Computer Desk
🎉
🎄