Keeping Animals From Going Under a Mobile Home

Category Pest Control
Mobile home skirting sometimes isn't enough to keep critters from going underneath your home. This guide is about keeping animals from going under a mobile home.

This question is for anyone who has ever lived in a mobile home: What are your thrifty ideas to prevent wild animals like raccoons, etc. from making their home under your mobile home, or worse, getting into the insulation or ductwork from the underbelly? I have recently had to add vinyl skirting to a mobile home which had never had any before. My neighbors with skirting always seem to have animal issues, and I'd like to prevent any problems if possible. Please help and thanks for any advice!

Tori

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

If it is all enclosed properly I dont know how they get under

there! Ours is enclosed and so is all our neighbors. Its a park rule here. Maby call a place where they do mobile home repair, they have probably heard it all. Good luck.

Here are several that my mother & I have been using to successfully deter various critters over the years. Irish Spring soap bars, Bounce dryer sheets (the extra-smelly kind), sprinkle Cayenne pepper around (many dollar stores have it cheap), Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil (dip a rag in it), peppermint oil (on a rag, wood chips, or a cotton ball, natural food stores & some hardware stores). All of these do have to be "refreshed" every so often, but one or another of them has always worked for us. Also, one of my favorites, though I don't think it has any effect on raccoons- is to sprinkle Borax (good ol' 20 Mule Team laundry "booster") around on the ground. It's great at getting rid of various insect pests, especially fleas.

Have fun!

I would put a plastic dishtub under there and put a quart or so of bleach in it now and then, just to put a lingering irritating smell under there. Yes, I used to live in a mobile with skirting, and yes, rodents were a problem. For the mice, I just used a bucket trap (a thin board leading up to the top of the bucket, no lid, then a wire across the top with a pop can strung on it, and some meat juice dried on the outside of the pop can at the middle. The mice would run up the board, step out on the wire to get to the meat smell, the pop can would turn so that the mouse fell into the bottom of the bucket where there was about six inches of water with dish soap for him to drown in. Nope, no sympathy for a mouse that dares to get under my house. The icky part was changing the water now and then, every couple-three months.

The absolute easiest thing to do is simple throw a handful of mothballs under your trailer. It keeps out all animals. Tried and true remedy. They will eventually deteriorate and will have to be replaced.

Had a mobile home, now have a campground. Throw moth balls under your home or peppermint Altoids (mice hate them) or very strong scented fabric softener sheets--or all three!

Throw A box of moth balls under the trailer each season. It keeps all critters out including spiders.

They can simply dig a tunnel under there, that's how they did mine.

Just moved to a rural area in a MH that has been sitting for about 6 months and found critter tunnels at all corners and under the decking. Read somewhere about using USED kitty litter. I had to do it a couple of times, crap and all thrown into those holes then sprinkled hot pepper powder (like 2 for $1 from Family Dollar) on top. My third trip out today, nothing had been moved so I think they left, but I threw in about 8 moth balls in every nook and cranny I could find. Saving more used kitty litter just in case, but I think it worked! Also read about using unwrapped sticks of Juicy Fruit gum - guess the critters eat it and it "gums" up their insides. I don't know what critters I had/have, but will keep on working on it!

Our dog got a puncture wound and a 2 in. long slit in his skin from something in the back yard. This is a fenced in back yard. We've checked the fence for protruding nails, the swing set for protruding screws and all that's left is a trailer with some brush on it. Possibly he went under the trailer and snagged himself on the metal.

The vet doesn't have any ideas either from the shape of the wound. A friend suggested a wild animal attack, but that would mean a squirrel or a bird did it, and that's not possible given the severity nor the type of the injuries. So, what do you suggest that we put under the trailer (which is just an open wagon) to keep him from crawling underneath or near it?

Vet said he's going to be ok - drain out in 2 days and stitches out in 10. Poor fellow.