Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

My Bunny's Litter Box

My cat and my rabbit get along perfect and I hate keeping animals cooped up in cages so I don't put him in one. My cat I just got is in love with my rabbit, they play and sleep together, so he has no problem with any of this, but the thing is we have a litter box for my cat and one for my bunny. The problem is my cat goes in the bunnies litter box! So what do you think I should do? I keep their litter boxes far apart, but I'm probably going to put them together.

By Olivia from Stryker, Ohio

By Samantha (Guest Post)04/27/2008

I keep my cat box away from my bunny. The cat and the bunny have the run of the house (all plants and cords are out of reach). They each have there on spaces however at the opposite ends of the house each with there own litter boxes. They spend most of there time together in neutral parts of the house. I use regular cat litter for the cat and paper towels for the bunnies litter box. I do not like my house to smell like animals and my bunny has no problem with using his box with the towels. I just fold two or three plain white paper towel in the bottom of the litter box. Each morning (at most two days), you dump in trash, spray with light vinegar water mix, dry, and put in new paper towels. Whole thing takes two minute and my house ever smells. You can also flush it down the toilet if you toilet can handle a couple paper towels.

RE: My Bunny's Litter Box

By Penny Stoehr [22]03/13/2008

This is just a thought. Why not put a screen over the rabbits litter box. That's normally how they releave themselves in cages. Maybe the cat won't want to use it then because there's no litter to cover his thing. If the rabbit uses the cat litter box, why not put the cat litter up on something like a crate where the rabbit can't get in it.

By Maryeileen [76]03/10/2008

Sorry...I didn't know pine would be bad for a rabbit. :-(

By Lynda (Guest Post)03/10/2008

Any sort of pine in the Bunny's litter box/ bedding can cause severe kidney/liver damage and kill them, according to the House Bunny Society. Long haired bunnies or cats can get kidney failure when dust from clay litter sticks to their fur and they then clean themselves by licking it off, swallowing it innocently by instinct. They depend upon us to provide the best materials since they are stuck indoors.

I have had my cat for over twenty years, use nothing but layers of newsprint, in two litter boxes because cats usually prefer to urinate in one place and have bowel movements in another. This is likely why your cat uses the bunny's litter box.

My house bunny is fairly house trained to paper but "marks territory" by nature, with frequent pellets if left unattended to roam the house, as well as tiny urine puddles, also to mark territory. Female bunnies, especially, also need personal grooming of the private area, because if you turn them over and examine on each side of their privates, you will find their scent glands which get dirty from litter and dirt, needing cleaning gently with a q-tip once in a while. Another reason to keep bunny/ cat separated most of the time is that female bunnies get cancer often, and some forms are contageous to other animal life, perhaps to humans? Wash hands frequently or wear latex gloves if possible when cleaning the bunny.

I'd suggest not letting the bunny have free run of the house, but rather, give it plenty of exercise and play time with the cat every few hours, and a separate litter box from the cat. It's difficult otherwise. I change litter boxes daily. I use stick air freshener nearby but at waist height to check odors. I use NO clay, pine, or cleaning chemicals in the cage or in the litter box, other than liq. dish soap when needed.

Bunnies are really good pets, but a little more trouble than cats and cannot make noises to let you know what they need or want. They can scream when they are dying, or are males in heat. If they accidentally get their skin cut, as in accidentally from a cat scratch, it takes a rabbit vet to sew it up, and ASAP because they bleed so profusely and go into shock VERY quickly. They will chew on ANY electrical
cord, totally ruining it, so lift all cords to waist height to save the bunny and the cord.

Feeding is very important as well. Bunnies need Alfalfa pellets, Cilantro and Parsley daily. I substitute with organic Dandelions often. Mine doesn't like celery and too much lettuce will cause diarreah. They can only have 1/2 carrot three times a week, organic shredded wheat cereal, peeled apple, broccoli, cauliflower(only occasionally), and often like pumpkin seeds. NEVER take them out side because they are not resistant to the bacteria in soil, on sidewalks, or in the environment, and most ALL plants are poisonous to them even though they will naturally run to eat them.

They must be kept in a vest-harness, NEVER leashed around the neck. They get over excited so easily that they can have a heart attack EXTREMELY FAST AND DIE. Keep them inside and best in a cage with TV to watch. They love cartoons, baby plastic key toys, organic apple tree twigs to chew on. Bunnies need toenails clipped like a dog, feet and behind washed in warm water and soap when dirty, and
NEVER clean their ears, regardless. They can get hair balls but cannot spit them out or vomit AT ALL, so they need to be brushed once a month, especially in Fall and Spring, gain and loss of their winter coat fur.

Don't let them near house plants because MOST are VERY POISONOUS!

God bless and help you to apply these researched tips in your care for your beloved pets. : )

I'm certain you will have good luck with practice and dedication, not deviating nor experimenting too much with your bunny.

Good luck and God bless you and your pets. : )

By Maryeileen [76]03/08/2008

If bunnies can't use clay litter you can use Feline Pine instead. Our cats love it, there's never any odor of urine, and it's safe (unlike scoopable litters).

By Renee [1]03/08/2008

i use a product called equine fresh from tractor supply for my bunny's litter and a scoopable litter for the cat, they each hate the feel of the others litter so there is never a problem. becareful if your bunny goes into the kitty litter, bunnies can become very ill when in contact with clay products (i have 2 dwarf bunnies name jessica and roger)

By Jean from MS (Guest Post)03/07/2008

As long as your bunny will still use his litter box after the cat has used it, I don't see a problem.

By Lethargic (Guest Post)03/06/2008

I don't think it would be a problem with them sharing a litter box.
However, you might just start using the rabbit's litter for both of them. It would be worse if the rabbit started using the cat's box since rabbits arn't supposed to be exposed to clay litters because of health issues. Of course this all depends on the types of litter you are using now.