Growing Cantaloupes in Containers

I have a very healthy cantaloupe plant growing in a moveable planter that is full of flowers, it has one fruit growing really well that seems to double in size every couple days. There are lots of other flowers that get a melon forming, then it turns yellow and falls off. There are 6 small green melons forming that I believe will make it. Getting back to the large growing one, do I need to prop it up or give it some sort of support? And what kind of support would be the best?

By Jim H

Answers

I used to take a furring strip or dowel rod to support the vine then use 1 leg of an old pair of pantie hose. I would stick the growing cantaloupe into the leg and tie it onto the stick or rod. Sometimes I would have to use 2 or 3 sticks to support the vine as it grew and produced fruit, but that depended on the size that my planter could hold. It worked great and we know how pantie hose stretches so it never hit the ground with its weight as it grew. It also works wonders to stake the fruit like this if you are growing it in a garden. Just support however many small green melons that you believe will make it and they ripen all the way around. It also keeps pests away.

Hope this helps!