Cleaning Geothermal Home Heating System

I have an open loop geothermal heating system. It was supposed to have an "acid flush/wash" a year ago. My neighbor does commercial heating and cooling and said if he had a little more information on how to do this he would do it for me.

I have spent quite a bit of time on search engines but can't find anything that deals specifically with with open loop geothermal home heating systems. Does acid flush mean a way/system for cleaning the heat exchanger? Can anyone tell me how or where to get information on this subject? I was told that if you don't do this maintenance that it could wreck your compressor or something like that. How often should this acid wash be done? I am recently widowed with a very small fixed income. I would appreciate any assistance you can give me.

nanaknownothing from Anoka, MN

I found a couple of things to help.

1 - Here is a newsletter with some instructions on cleaning the air exchanger.

I am not sure if that is what you are looking for but the newsletter may be a good source to find info.

2- This is a site for maintenance. It may help:

This site also has an index link at the bottom of the page. Perhaps your friend can click through them to find additional information.

I highly suggest looking on the unit nomenclature plate to find the manufacturer. Once you have the brand you can generally find the web site and be able to email them for the proper info for your exact unit. Be sure to include the model number/serial number if you can write them so that they can help you with the exact info you need.

I've had one of these systems and they are marvelous. I hope you find the info you need soon. At the very least, you have some basic info to get you started.

Kind regards,

Granny Marcia

Opps...sorry, I mistakenly used closed loop for my previous search. This is the link for the open loop system.

Here is another link to help:

Owner's Manual -- Kind of an A-Z and has TONS of info from installation to maintenance.

I sure hope some of this is of help....

I install geo loops in the ground. I have to tell you that it has nothing to do with the loop. I would go back to the person that told you that you need an acid bath cleaning and asked him to explain.

You have an open system and water is constantly flowing through your heat exchanger. As with any boiler, some waters have acidic properties or elements that reacts to some metals. The reaction sometimes causes a build up i internal parts (like cholesterol in the arteries) or corrosion, which could be fatal.

This may be the case in your area.

Your neighbor offered to help, just asked him to check the heat exchanger for proper flow rate or signs of corrosion. (just like build up inside your car battery).

Contact the manufacture, and asked them if they heat exchanger replacement adequate to your needs (you may have to run a water sample through the lab)

Good luck,

Hello No Fear there is help My Geothermal Company Specialize in open loop discharge systems Geothermal Clean is a special,unique and scientifically formulated decscaler for safely dissolving stubborn fouling water deposits. friendly Non-Flammable / Biodegradable / Non-Hazardous / Non-Corrosive / Eco-Friendly / Non-Toxic . Geothermal Clean may be accomplished in a mater of a few hours. Simple circulation or even plain soaking will completely remove scale and fouling deposits down to the bare heatexchanger metal with no damage to the heat exchanger. After cleaning, simpley flush the unit with fresh water to drain and return to service. Geothermal Clean can be shipped directly to you for do-it-yourself youcan put the product in your hand its all about Safety, you can visit our web site at

George Kontol Jr. DeMotte In. 46310

Here Is A Address Northwest Geothermal Inc. Geothermal open-loop Chemical to clean the heat exchanger safely with out harming the unit and there is a Do-it-yourself Circulating kit you can purchase with the chemical.

Home and Garden Home Improvement HeatingSeptember 27, 2007
Wood Burning Stove
Heating with Wood
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home
Energy Efficient Furnace
Energy Efficient Home Heating Options
Home Security Without an Alarm System
Home Security Without an Alarm System