Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How Can I Keep My Cat in My Yard?

I have outdoor cats, and a renter who is making threats because one of them allegedly goes over there. Can anyone suggest anything that I can spray that will keep them in my yard? If not, I'm going to have to have a cat euthanized (the city law states that cats must be kept on a leash at all times). Please help.

By Scatterbrained from USA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Anonymous [848]06/07/2010

Perhaps if you would have given the information originally as you did in the response below mine right here you would have received less judgement and more sympathy! Your original request above sounds as if this outdoor cat is simply bothersome so how do you expect intelligent answers when intelligent information was not given?

You were given good answers even though you might not have liked them! More than one person has said an electric (sonic) fence system and short of that there is probably no way to keep that kitty kat in your yard other than a harness and leash!

There are lots of alternatives out there to find that cat a home rather than euthanasia! Contact the ASPCA and Pet Finders and explain your situation in detail and they will direct you to the help you need if your local shelters can't/won't help!

By Scatterbrained [1]06/05/2010

First of all, in the state I live in, we just had historic flooding, and before the flooding we have been having an animal crisis for some time before this. All of our shelters are full, most only take kittens, and this cat is an outside cat because I have more than one (most rescued strays), and he is an outside cat because I do not have anywhere to keep him inside.

Is there anyone on this website who knows the difference between condemning someone and helping someone who knows how to help who could give me an intelligent answer? If I put coffee grounds down on the property line, will that run him out of the yard or will he stay in it? And the rest of you, too bad none of you have ever been in a situation like this, maybe then you'd actually be helpful!

By Sheila [3]06/02/2010

OMG! I cannot believe you'd even think about doing such a thing just because that baby "might" get in a neighbors yard, especially if neither of you know for sure! Why don't you just comply with the law or find it a loving home? For cat/animal lovers like me, my Jarrett is part of my family. BUY the harness, please!

By Candy Killion [8]06/01/2010

Keep them indoors! Please check this out; it's from a wildlife group with notations from the Humane Society and is well worth the read--"the Great Outdoors Is No Place For Cats".

http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/cats/materials/hazards.pdf

I also have to agree with so many other posters here that if you cannot keep them indoors where they'll be safe and not break any local nuisance laws, please throw an ad on Craigslist or in your newspaper for an owner that can handle them indoors, or ask your vet if he/she can refer you to a no-kill shelter if you must give them up.

Euthanization was meant to be used in tune with "do no harm", that is, your animal's quality of life is such that medicine can't cure it or disease or age is so advanced that further medical treatment would only prolong pain. Though a lot of providers will put animals down because they have behavioral problems or are just no longer wanted. It's beyond shameful as far as I'm concerned when that occurs.

Please reconsider that drastic alternative and keep the cats in the house; if you can't do that permanently, the right thing to do is to see them off to safe homes.

By vicki hood [4]06/01/2010

If you would euthanize, you don't deserve to have pets. Find them a home where they can stay indoors or be in a town where cats do not have to be leashed. You could also buy an electric fence unit $30 wire and posts.

By Sherri [6]06/01/2010

Hello,
Euthanasia is NOT the answer, that would be a horrible thing to do. This cat did not ask to come live with you. You must get a harness for each cat like your law suggests or please find a home where this cat can stay inside.

By Anonymous [848]06/01/2010

I am not trying to be rude or mean at all but if your city law states that cats must be on leashes at all times why don't you either purchase harnesses and leashes for them and follow the law or train them to be indoor cats so you don't have to worry about it? Another alternative is to get an electronic fence and collar system that will help keep them from leaving/ jumping the fence.

As far as euthanasia, that is so self serving and sad that you would even consider that when you can simply find a home for them where their new owner parents will do what's required! And if you can't find a suitable home all you need to do is call around and find 'no kill shelters' that will be more than willing to find homes for them!