How Can I Keep My Cat in My Yard? - Categories:

CatsPets

How Can I Keep My Cat in My Yard?

I have outdoor cats, and a renter who is making threats because one of them allegedly goes over there. Can anyone suggest anything that I can spray that will keep them in my yard? If not, I'm going to have to have a cat euthanized (the city law states that cats must be kept on a leash at all times). Please help.

By Scatterbrained from USA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I am not trying to be rude or mean at all but if your city law states that cats must be on leashes at all times why don't you either purchase harnesses and leashes for them and follow the law or train them to be indoor cats so you don't have to worry about it? Another alternative is to get an electronic fence and collar system that will help keep them from leaving/ jumping the fence.

As far as euthanasia, that is so self serving and sad that you would even consider that when you can simply find a home for them where their new owner parents will do what's required! And if you can't find a suitable home all you need to do is call around and find 'no kill shelters' that will be more than willing to find homes for them!

Hello,

Euthanasia is NOT the answer, that would be a horrible thing to do. This cat did not ask to come live with you. You must get a harness for each cat like your law suggests or please find a home where this cat can stay inside.

If you would euthanize, you don't deserve to have pets. Find them a home where they can stay indoors or be in a town where cats do not have to be leashed. You could also buy an electric fence unit $30 wire and posts.

Keep them indoors! Please check this out; it's from a wildlife group with notations from the Humane Society and is well worth the read--"the Great Outdoors Is No Place For Cats".

http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/cats/materials/hazards.pdf

I also have to agree with so many other posters here that if you cannot keep them indoors where they'll be safe and not break any local nuisance laws, please throw an ad on Craigslist or in your newspaper for an owner that can handle them indoors, or ask your vet if he/she can refer you to a no-kill shelter if you must give them up.

Euthanization was meant to be used in tune with "do no harm", that is, your animal's quality of life is such that medicine can't cure it or disease or age is so advanced that further medical treatment would only prolong pain. Though a lot of providers will put animals down because they have behavioral problems or are just no longer wanted. It's beyond shameful as far as I'm concerned when that occurs.

Please reconsider that drastic alternative and keep the cats in the house; if you can't do that permanently, the right thing to do is to see them off to safe homes.

You do not need to keep your cats indoors in order to be a good or responsible pet owner as cats have lived outdoors since the beginning of time. Get the electronic invisible fence and be done with it. I bet you are sorry you asked some of these folks who probably have cats eating off their dining tables! Lol. Take care. I think you are funny.

OMG! I cannot believe you'd even think about doing such a thing just because that baby "might" get in a neighbors yard, especially if neither of you know for sure! Why don't you just comply with the law or find it a loving home? For cat/animal lovers like me, my Jarrett is part of my family. BUY the harness, please!

First of all, in the state I live in, we just had historic flooding, and before the flooding we have been having an animal crisis for some time before this. All of our shelters are full, most only take kittens, and this cat is an outside cat because I have more than one (most rescued strays), and he is an outside cat because I do not have anywhere to keep him inside.

Is there anyone on this website who knows the difference between condemning someone and helping someone who knows how to help who could give me an intelligent answer? If I put coffee grounds down on the property line, will that run him out of the yard or will he stay in it? And the rest of you, too bad none of you have ever been in a situation like this, maybe then you'd actually be helpful!

Perhaps if you would have given the information originally as you did in the response below mine right here you would have received less judgement and more sympathy! Your original request above sounds as if this outdoor cat is simply bothersome so how do you expect intelligent answers when intelligent information was not given?

You were given good answers even though you might not have liked them! More than one person has said an electric (sonic) fence system and short of that there is probably no way to keep that kitty kat in your yard other than a harness and leash!

There are lots of alternatives out there to find that cat a home rather than euthanasia! Contact the ASPCA and Pet Finders and explain your situation in detail and they will direct you to the help you need if your local shelters can't/won't help!

Pets CatsMay 30, 2010
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Girl with her has face painted like a black cat.
Making a Cat Costume
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 10:05:14 AM on 10.0.0.66 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.