Growing Cherries from Seed

What is the process to get a cherry seed to root?

By David from Wichita, KS

Answers

Just a headsup - not all plants that produce seeds in fruit will grow into a fruiting tree from their seed. I don't know if cherries are one that won't or will? But many of these hard coated seeds require having a split put into their hard hull first, then planted and watered as if they're a plant. You could try a few like that. My grandmother, alternately, used to plant hard hulled seeds the season before. For example, she didn't split her sweetpea seeds, but would plant them in October so they had all winter to soak and weaken the hull. Then in the spring they came up on their own. You might try another in a container that you can keep normally wet (not overly wet) and see if it works!

August 19, 2011 Flag

It's already August, winter will be here soon. I want to plant a cherry seed, should I do it now or wait? If I wait what will I do to keep the seed fresh? Can you please help?

By Sweet H

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've never grown a cherry tree from a seed, but we have several cherry trees in our yard; the kind for pie making. IF you are interested, send me a message with your mailing address and I'll be glad this Spring to send you several starts. You really need more than one tree to have fruit. I'll make sure they have a good root system with some undisturbed soil around it, so it has better chance to survive for you; NO charge for plants, but would appreciate postage paid set by USPS.

Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesJune 11, 2010
growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Photo of cherries hanging on a cherry tree.
Growing Cherries (Cherry Trees)
Frozen cherries.
Freezing Cherries
🎉
🎄