Bees & WaspsPest Control

Yellow Jackets (Bees) In My Foundation

I have been dealing with yellow jacket bees for several weeks now. It seems that the one day the bees have quieted down and the next they are back in full force. They have invaded a hole in the cement foundation of my house. Spray foam will not reach them. Help me before they find a way inside the house from there. I was told not to seal the hole.

Pat from Kingston

I suggest you call your city (or county) offices. They should be able to help you.

yes i would keep calling until i got some help. how about your agriculture extension office. they have been helpful to me in the past.

i am allergic to bees so i understand your concern.

The poison "Seven" in an animal-safe place will irradicate the nests. I'm now deathly alergic and my hubby tried that, after having to call an ambulance for me. This is our second gloriously yellow jacket-free summer, out here in the heart of yellow jacket country! Jan

It is either Yellow Jackets, "A common Wasp." Or it's a bee. It isn't a yellow jacket bee. The Italian bee has similar colors to some yellow jackets but the over difference in the two critters is immense. How you take care of them is very different. If these are living in your foundation I suggest they are neither yellow jackets or bees as you probably mean, "honey bees."

Honey bees need lots of room as the colony grows. Yellow jackets build a paper nest hanging from the under side of a roof, tree limb etc. They do not live in holes. Bumble bees do live in holes and do not need much room as they are solitary. They even burrow into wood. I have one on my deck right where I set almost every evening with my wife as we wind down and just visit. The bumble bee flies up and discovers I'm there and circles my head a couple or maybe fifteen or so times getting the smell of me and decides I'm just same old part time fixture or what ever. She then goes into the hole not to be seen until the next day.

Over head, "about two ft. above my head when standing up" is two red wasp nests. One is doing well, about the size of a medium sized orange with, "estimated 25 to 50 " girls living there. The one about three feet from that one is a real champ. It is about seven inches in diameter and counting them is not possible. They started there as one wasp each and built up with us around so we are part of their environment and we leave them alone and they don't bother us.

I've been keeping honey bees, "mostly three banded Italians" now for about 50 years. Today installed two new packages I purchased. Three lbs per package with a queen. I haven't done this in years as usually the sheriff dept. calls me several times per year to pick up swarms but I haven't done that in a couple of years. What the heck is with that?

I know you all will think I'm crazy, "may be" but you don't have to live here with me, but it was 90 degrees today with humidity of over 85%. So since it was hot I was in loafers, "no socks", cut offs, and no shirt when I put them in their new homes. Yes I got stung. Once! I mashed her with the back of my finger. Since the thing was already in me I just left it there until the venom sack stopped pulsing on it's own then I squeezed it to make sure all the venom was injected.

That stuff is the best treatment for a hoard of inflammation problems. That is one reason I keep bees. I have some arthritis and fibromialgia, "sorry about the spelling." It helps the arthritis pretty good. It is absolutely life saving, "in my opinion" with the fibromialgia. About a month ago I had a real new experience. I accidentally mashed a red wasp and she stung me on the back of my hand. What was really weird was that there is a small vein there on my hand and she got the venom in the vein. That was not pleasant at all. Of course as the venom mostly was in the vein instead of the tissues the sting wasn't more than just a little uncomfortable. When the venom got all in my system it cause a aching up the right side of my neck right along the carotid area. I now that is not a vein, it also was on the opposite side of where I was stung. It was uncomfortable for about two or three minutes. After that it was just gone.

Wonder how much of that directly in the vein would do you in? I'll let someone else find out.

Come on by, we can go play with the bees.