Internet TipsComputers

Update Router for Better Internet Performance

When you signed up for DSL, I'm sure that the ISP furnished you with their router, which I'm confident is not the best quality, even mediocre. I recently had one of my computer-geek friends over at the house and he saw my modem and went into shock. He said that it was 'outdated', provided zero firewall protection from the internet, and it had a 'Public' ISP Address (and it needed to be a "Private" ISP Address).

So the next day, he showed up with a router that provided me with Firewall, Private ISP Address, and other benefits which are 'above my head', for under $60. I ran a connection speed test and the speeds are virtually the same, BUT my pages are opening at lightning speeds(?). I can't explain it, he did tell me that my surfing would more than likely speed up (I couldn't understand how, since I wouldn't be increasing my ISP Service), but it did!

By cajun62234 from Opelousas, LA

What was the name of the router? I would be interested in looking into it. chordbound

The whole concept is kinda over my head - I'm geeky, but a user rather than a tech. Still, it sounds like an excellent idea.

D-link #DL-2540B and you probably [???] will need to know your email password [as to when you set up your account originally....NOT a password that is required to view your emails]

http://whatismy … ss.com/change-ip

Go to Tools in your email program, then:

Accounts [then]

Properties [then]

Servers [then you will see the Password that may be required to reinstall]

The IP address that I entered, was as indicated in the attached link and I'm not sure if the model I have is average or below-average....all I can say is that it really does jump to pages like never before and that may be due to my previous inadequate modem or maybe due to the new modem's abilities...