ReusingGreen Living

Homemade Musical Stands And Containers

You can use household objects for other purposes. I keep one set of my recorders in a padded ex-chocolate box, put the keyboard on a folding wooden tray table, and use a wooden folding plant stand/stool as a harp stool. Oh, and I make swabs for my recorders with wooden chopsticks with strips of old hankies stapled to them! (when they are inside out). Thinking about whether I can make a recorder stand out of the stand stacks that blank CD's come on. I'll let you know.

By pamphyila from Los Angeles

I love the idea of using chopsticks as swabs - I always manage to end up with extra disposable sets, and they're just the right size for a flute, too!

I just tried the DVD-case recorder stand idea, but sadly, the stick in the middle is just too thick. Maybe if you cut it down to half- or quarter-thickness with a knife? One of the taller ones might work for a flute, but I'm not sure - I think it would be top-heavy. Will have to try that later.

Any suggestions for a music stand?

For a music stand: open your case on a tabletop. Place your music where the instrument normally is, propped up by the top of the case. Also, you can use a large tabletop picture frame the same way.