Organizing Craft Supplies With Recycled Containers

Category Crafts
Avid crafters are always in need of containers for their supplies. This can be expensive unless you get creative and begin identifying recycle containers that can be kept for storing them. This is a guide about organizing craft supplies with recycled containers.

I have all sorts of tiny crafting materials (wiggle eyes, acrylic jewels, needles, beads, etc) and not a lot of space to store them, we live full time in our camper. I tried looking for storage boxes but the compartments were either too small or too large for most of the materials. Then I found some unique alternatives that were a perfect fit.

If you are as unfortunate as I am in the health arena and find yourself taking many medications, use your old medicine bottles to hold some materials.

If you suffer from diabetes and test your blood sugar using test strips that come in a vial (rather than a drum or disc), use the empty vials to hold crafting accessories.

Or, if you still use camera film, use the empty film cases to hold the supplies that boxes don't work for.

In the end, I also have the option of keeping them in different craft bags instead of trying to fit a larger box into a space and having to take the whole box out when I only need one type of supply at a time.

When I was done with this fruit basket container, I knew I had to re-use it. We can't recycle plastics right now in our county, so it would end up in the landfill. I hate that. So, I cleaned and dried it, and filled it with craft supplies.

You could do the same with napkins and condiments at a picnic, "not too heavy" cleaning supplies or pet/kid treats for the car, notepads and pens for your craft room or office, or for a medicine kit or makeup.

Anything that will fit would work. These are sort of sturdy, but if you load it like I did you will have to pick it up with both hands if you want it to last.

N-JOY!

This is an organizer for crafts, office supplies, anything small.

Approximate Time: 1 hour + drying time

Instructions:

Wash jars and let dry completely. Lightly sand the muffin pan, paint it black. Paint each jar a different color, make designs, symbols, etc.

Paint the lids different colors, let dry completely.

After the jars lids are dried, use paint pen to label top of jars. Let everything dry completely.

Spray a coat or two of polyurethane on them. When poly dries, put things like tacks, paper clips, rubber bands, etc in them. Mix and match the lids.

By sherry from Onset, MA

If you have a toddler or a good friend who does and uses Gerber baby food containers that have the snap on plastic lid, they make perfect storage containers. I use them for my beads, findings, buttons, etc. The lids do snap shut making spillage lest possible and they are clear enough that you can see through them.

AND the best thing, for the most part they are free and reusing them saves lots of plastic from the landfills.

The best way that I have found to organize craft items is to reuse things I already have. Why bother going to the craft store and buying expensive containers when you may have something similar at home? Glass jars from store-bought sauces or baby food hold a multitude of odds and ends, an old spice carousal works great for beads and buttons, and clean empty childproof pill bottles are great for keeping young kids away from needles and other small items. Crystal Light canisters, coffee cans, oatmeal containers, and ice cream buckets are all great containers with lids that keep craft items neat and out of sight. All of these items can even look pretty set out on a craft table with the addition of some paint or decorative paper to cover up any store labels.

By Tracey from Duluth, MN

Answers:

I agree that it's a good idea to reuse items we have around the house for craft storage or any kind of storage for that matter. I try to do that as much as I can. (06/04/2007)

By Debbie Dzurilla

Gals, Here's an idea you might consider using.WalMart has its meats in deep plastic containers. I save them to put all of my items for a single project in, so nothing gets lost, Everything is together! Judy from Alabama (06/04/2007)

By Judy Harris

Amen.

I like the plastic containers for Gerber baby food. they are see-through, stackable, with snap-on lids that don't come off. I use them for stones, beads, bobbins, buttons, and straight pins. They are good for paint cups, too.

If you don't have a baby, remember these are just-right-sized portions of pureed veggies and fruits. Anyone can enjoy them with a meal or as a snack. Since I am a diabetic, I like the convenience, labeling, and ready-to-go features.

I use the large-sized bottles of Ocean Spray Lite Cranberry Juice with handles to store dog kibble and Cascade dishwashing detergent. This way, they are easy to pour and waterproof. In fact, for everyday use of Cascade, I use a smaller recycled plastic container with a small pour spout, since it is easier to hold and pouring is more exact.

The Renizit Super Odor Neutralizer pump spray bottle is good for isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, bleach and plain water. I print up labels on my computer using the Word label program.

I use the Pringles' containers for scissors, paint brushes, tools (I am tool junkie), and anything tall or long.

If you can't figure out how to make these containers attractive or look like a matched set, please don't call yourself a crafter. hahahahaha (06/04/2007)

By Carrie