Storing Craft Paints

Category Crafts
Storing Craft Paints
Keeping your craft paint well organized will make finding the color you need much easier. This guide is about storing craft paints.

I store my fabric paint in a cardboard box from some pretzels. Keep the bottles stored upside down and they will be ready when you are. If they get clogged, use a paper clip to unclog the tube. Never waste a drop. I empty the last bit onto a plate and let my preschooler paint with a brush. She mixes her own colors and loves it!

By Wendy from Coopersburg, PA

I probably have about 100 bottles of acrylic craft paints and special finishes. I store them in square baskets I bought at the Dollar Store. The baskets are fold-able to flat and about 2 inches taller than the paint bottles. The full baskets can be stacked and take up little room under a table. I separate the paints by color and, more importantly, I store them upside down, after I dab the bottom with its paint.

At a glance I can select the color I want and they last longer without separating because by storing them upside down, they are self sealing. I also use rubbing alcohol to clean my table of any dry paint spills and it does a great job!

By debbygirl57 from Woodland, CA

I keep several small bottles of of acrylic paint on my shelf in a box made from an empty Bisquick box. To save time, I open the bottles of paint and, using my finger, dab a little paint on the top of each bottle. Now, at a glance, I can see what colors I have.

By Liz from Dodson Prairie, TX

This may seem obvious and simple, but I didn't think of it for sometime, so maybe others haven't thought of it either. I have a lot of bottles of craft paint. I store them in a plastic shoebox type box that has a lid. I put my paints in upside down. This helps to keep all the pigment from settling on the bottom of the bottle. You then do not have to shake it down to the opening every time you use it. It also helps to find the color you are looking for because the paint has already coated the bottom of the container. Simple but helpful.

By Artlady from Edmond, OK

I am trying to find ideas on how to store my acrylic paints. I know they make a metal spinner rack, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money and also wanted something more compact. I would greatly appreciate any helpful input on this situation. Thanks much!

Gail from Montgomery, PA

Answers:

Storing Acrylic Paints

Gail, I keep mine in large metal coffee cans. It holds quite a few. J. B. (10/30/2008)

By Grandma Bess

Storing Acrylic Paints

I have a large tackle box that has tip-out trays. I store the paints in the bottom and the brushes and etc in the trays. This way I have everything in one place and it has a handle for carrying, it has really been a big help through the years of using. (10/30/2008)

By piwacket

Storing Acrylic Paints

I store mine in a plastic shoebox type container I got at the Dollar Store. It has a lid and I tape it on one side with duct tape as a hinge. I put my paints in upside down so I can see the colors I want. (10/31/2008)

By Artlady

Storing Acrylic Paints

I use an old tupperware container that is good, but does not look good for food, anymore. I store them upside down so I can see what color. It also makes them last longer to store upside down and if the paint is low, it is already at the top. This is a large container and holds many. (10/31/2008)

By Toebeanie

Storing Acrylic Paints

Hi! I reuse those wooden crates that clementines come in. They hold quite a few and I just dab abit of paint on top of the cap so I can see the color. It's a great idea to store them upside down as I've read from other members. I'll have to remember that myself. (11/01/2008)

By chriself

Storing Acrylic Paints

All the suggestions are great. You can also get little tackle boxes made of plastic at the dollar tree, as well as ziplock and generic containers that are clear.

If you like having things up off the floor or desk you might want to purchase a shoe bag from the dollar tree. I am sending a shot that shows you how many other craft items you can keep in them.

If you get these, you can find them that have a hanger on them. If not, you can attach a hanger to most of them and keep them in the closet.

Good luck! (11/01/2008)

By Poor But Proud

RE: Storing Acrylic Paints

Storing Acrylic Paints

Hi Gail, I have been doing folk art for quite some time now and its nice to have your paints close by. I started out with an empty pizza pop box, then asked for a craft box for Christmas one year. My kids found one in zellers for $14 it has a tray that sits in the top of the box and holds @least 90 small paints, upright, in the tray. Underneath in the large part I keep all my craft books, etc. It's hot purple. The tray is pink and it has two handles for easy carrying. My friend used her Michaels coupon for make your own sale, (40% off one reg priced item) and bought that metal spinner for $19.00 Good luck and happy painting, (11/02/2008)

By Nallorey

Storing Acrylic Paints

I bought plastic lazy suzan treys at the dollar store and have arranged mine on there. Just a touch and it spins to where you need the paints! I have the names of the paint on the top of all my lids and arranged by colors. (11/05/2008)

By roseoma3

Storing Acrylic Paints

I use "Scribbles" and "Polymark" acrylic fabric paints in the 1oz. containers. Take the boxes that your Dove or Caress bar soap come in and cut them in half crosswise. Fit a whole bunch of the half boxes in a shoebox.

Put 2 Scribbles in each one upside down. This keeps the paint from drying out and keeps the rest of them from falling all over when you take out just one.

Use a felt tip pen to mark the color number on the bottom of each container. If you write out the name and number of each color on a sheet of lined paper and dab a line of that color next to it you have a catalog of your available paints.

Make a tray from the top of another shoebox (or some cardboard) that fits inside your box and you can store extra paint doodads in the box on top of the upside down bottles.

I use the boxes that my running shoes come in because I can unfold them and refold inside out for a plain box with lid attached that I can label with a felt tip pen. (11/07/2008)

By Gorius

Storing Acrylic Paints

I have tried almost all of the above suggestions, but honestly the coupon from Michaels and the metal spinner is the easiest and best solution for my needs. Everything is in one place and it takes up less room that storage boxes. (01/10/2009)

By Diane

Storing Acrylic Paints

I have pegboard on the wall in my craft room and I hang baskets on it to keep my paints, mini lights, ribbon etc in them. You can buy the baskets at the dollar store. (01/22/2009)

By canlady