Storing Craft Supplies

Category Crafts
It's good to store your craft supplies in an organized manner to prevent time and money spent finding or replacing them. There are all sorts of recycled items that can be used for craft supply storage.

Crafting can be a wonderful hobby, but you need so many different things to use. People often mistake crafters for hoarders. In order to try to keep some of my smaller items organized, my husband put up shelves and I used my collection of baby wipe boxes for holding different items. These are the wipe boxes that the lid completely removes. I lay the lid under the box of items and they are all lined up on the shelf. You can see what is in each box and if it is something that I need to protect from dust, I just put the top on it. I can label the boxes if I want or leave them as they are. It is really nice to be able to find things in a hurry that would normally mean digging through boxes.

By gem from Gordonsville, VA

This is a charming little box, made out of part of a cracker box. The designs on this box are various colors of paper, glued on all four sides. Twine adds a cute touch, along with a big bow. I am using this one to store craft supplies and paper scraps.

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 1 box

• one cracker box (like Saltine crackers)
  • scissors
  • glue
  • craft paper of any kind or other decorations
  • twine
  • ribbon or yarn

1. Cut the cracker box in half, or shorter.
  2. Take out all your paper scraps and find your favorite ones.
  3. Cut to size and glue the craft paper onto the sides of the box.
  4. Place glue on side edges of box and attach pieces of twine. Trim off excess.
  5. Place a piece of ribbon over the box.
  6. Add craft supplies, to store in your new craft basket.

A great way to make storage for scrapbook paper and magazines is to reuse boxes to make storage containers. While searching the internet, I came across a blog where someone had step-by-step instructions for making a fabric covered box.

I have really gotten into sewing purses in the last year or so. I use a lot of the Barbara Randle crazy quilting patterns. They call for a lot of embellishments.

I took a wall shelf and drilled holes in which to place my glue guns. The size of the hole depends on the size of each glue gun. I used a round door knob bit; they come in different sizes.

Because of the width and depth of the shot glass, a glue bottle placed upside down will sit on the rim of the glass and the tip of the glue bottle will not touch the bottom of the glass.

I use zip lock bags for my children's lunches but they don't like them after a couple of uses as they look crinkled. I don't throw them out. I found them useful for small pieces of fabric that I have prepared for patchwork.

I am a "Crafty One" or that's what my family calls me. I have all kinds of things: beads, foam, feathers, all sorts of little tiny things, etc.

I've already tried Tupperware, but the lids come off and everything goes everywhere. They take up tons of space in my closet and I don't have a lot of space in my closet.
Any storage solutions for crafts?

Answers

From the kitchen - bottles, jars, anything with screw on tops, oatmeal boxes with tops, plastic meat trays, ice cube trays...

Your Tupperware lids should never come off. But that is just one of the many things to keep things in. I love shoe boxes because they are free and fit well in closets. You can leave something hanging out the lid so you can see what is inside, or just label it. Another good thing is the plastic coffee containers. I don't find the shape as cool but I do love the handles/cutouts for your hands.

They stack well, too.

If you have space in your closet for a few hangers, put your flat things in zipper bags and then hang them from binder clips. Just release them when you need them and reclip them when you are done. Easy and see through.

Pretty jars are a nice way, too. I did this a few years back and still get compliments. Mayo jars work really well and plastic doesn't break if dropped. I hope these help.

Cool thanks and I Have found a spice rack at a garage sale which works for all sorts of thinks. Thanks for the great answers!

This question was from 2015 but it seems there are people still wanting ideas for storing a variety of things. You do say the storage containers you are using take up a lot of room in your closet so it seems you may have some available space in a closet? If that is the case then how about considering one of the 3 drawer plastic drawer units that are sold at most of the larger stores? Some of these units are better made than in the past and usually have wheels so they can be moved when using the contents in another area.

The flat top is also usable for maybe a small storage container for larger items or for everyday things/folded clothes/shoe boxes or whatever. These units will fit in closets under short hanging clothes (blouses/pants folded on hangers/shirts/tops/etc). You can use smaller containers in the drawers to hold all the small (easily lost/spilled) items or even kitchen silverware holders.
These units are handy and generally inexpensive for a one time buy and can be used in other areas of the home if closet space is not available.
Different types of units are available at local stores or on line at Amazon/eBay/etc.

https://www.wal  /plastic-drawers

https://www.tar  n-home/-/N-5xto6

How about using clean styrofoam egg cartons for storing tiny items?

Keeping your craft paint well organized will make finding the color you need much easier. This guide is about storing craft paints.

Molded pulp paper packaging is a great item to use for organizing craft supplies. This is a guide about using cardboard packaging to organize craft supplies.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Fishing tackle boxes are perfect for storing small craft and sewing supplies. This is a guide about storing craft supplies in tackle boxes.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes