CraftsOrganizing

Storing Craft Supplies

I am a "Crafty One" or that's what my family calls me. I have all kinds of things: beads, foam, feathers, all sorts of little tiny things, etc.

I've already tried Tupperware, but the lids come off and everything goes everywhere. They take up tons of space in my closet and I don't have a lot of space in my closet.
Any storage solutions for crafts?

From the kitchen - bottles, jars, anything with screw on tops, oatmeal boxes with tops, plastic meat trays, ice cube trays...

Your Tupperware lids should never come off. But that is just one of the many things to keep things in. I love shoe boxes because they are free and fit well in closets. You can leave something hanging out the lid so you can see what is inside, or just label it. Another good thing is the plastic coffee containers. I don't find the shape as cool but I do love the handles/cutouts for your hands.

They stack well, too.

If you have space in your closet for a few hangers, put your flat things in zipper bags and then hang them from binder clips. Just release them when you need them and reclip them when you are done. Easy and see through.

Pretty jars are a nice way, too. I did this a few years back and still get compliments. Mayo jars work really well and plastic doesn't break if dropped. I hope these help.

Cool thanks and I Have found a spice rack at a garage sale which works for all sorts of thinks. Thanks for the great answers!

This question was from 2015 but it seems there are people still wanting ideas for storing a variety of things. You do say the storage containers you are using take up a lot of room in your closet so it seems you may have some available space in a closet? If that is the case then how about considering one of the 3 drawer plastic drawer units that are sold at most of the larger stores? Some of these units are better made than in the past and usually have wheels so they can be moved when using the contents in another area.

The flat top is also usable for maybe a small storage container for larger items or for everyday things/folded clothes/shoe boxes or whatever. These units will fit in closets under short hanging clothes (blouses/pants folded on hangers/shirts/tops/etc). You can use smaller containers in the drawers to hold all the small (easily lost/spilled) items or even kitchen silverware holders.
These units are handy and generally inexpensive for a one time buy and can be used in other areas of the home if closet space is not available.
Different types of units are available at local stores or on line at Amazon/eBay/etc.

www.walmart.com/.../plastic-drawers

www.target.com/.../N-5xto6

How about using clean styrofoam egg cartons for storing tiny items?