Making Bathtub Finger Paints

Category Toys
Kids love to play in the tub. Homemade finger paints are a perfect activity for the tub. This is a guide about making bathtub finger paints.

This is a very inexpensive way to let your kids have some extra fun in the bath. I found the recipe over 10 years ago and I make it all the time for my kids. They love it. This also makes a nice gift for friends with kids. Before using, test in an inconspicuous spot in the tub or shower to make sure that these won't stain. I've never had a problem, but you should test it first to be on the safe side.

Total Time: about 20 minutes

Yield: I filled 8 (4oz) baby food containers.

Source: I think this was from Family Fun magazine.

• 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 3/4 cup cold water
  • 1/4 cup mild, liquid dishwashing soap (I used Ivory)
  • food coloring
  • sauce pan
  • whisk
  • bowl
  • containers to store the paints in
  • measuring cups

1. Dissolve 1 envelope of gelatin into 1/4 cup hot water. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes.
  2. About 5 minutes later, I start this next step. Combine 1/2 cup cornstarch, 3 TBS sugar and 1 3/4 cups cold water in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium high heat, stirring until thick. (Once it thickens, it happens fast!)
  3. Reduce heat to low. Add gelatin mixture and 1/4 cup mild, dishwashing soap. Whisk mixture til smooth. Let cool.
  4. Divide mixture into small containers. Add a drop or two of food coloring. Don't get too crazy with it. A little goes a long way. Stir mixture til the color is incorporated.
  5. Test mixture on tub before using.
  6. Ad

7. Let the kiddos have fun!

Super clever. I'm going to make some for my nieces!

Is it a large or small envelope of gelatin?

Can you make it and store if for use later?