What Should I Eat Before Taking a Test?

By Holly 367 1,263

I took a math test and ran out of mental steam an hour into the test, aggravated by some guy who snored on and off for 45 minutes. Then a girl who came in a moment later, sat next to me and kept jiggling and wiggling herself as she took her test. Aargh! That one did me in.

Any dietary suggestions that I can eat before taking another stressful math exam?

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

Showing: Answers Sort

By pam munro 522 790 Flag

Well, you might take along ear plugs! When I was a student I used to bring hard lemon drops in with me to keep me going. Nowadays there are sprays with ginseng/gotu kola and other medicinal energy supplies, too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I just read an article about students who ate a banana just before a test. It gave them energy and helped with concentration. Also, the fructose (fruit sugar naturally found in bananas and other fruits) will give blood sugar an almost immediate boost, heightening concentration. If you like bananas, this is worth a try.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cassie Pulsifer 2 Flag

I hope I'm responding correctly, I just found this site. Anyway, I don't know if this is much help, but I do know that when I eat starches before something like a test situation...it makes me kind of tired and I can't concentrate at all. I don't really know what you should be eating, but don't eat pasta, breads, candies...or any other complex carbs. Maybe you should try fruits or something....I've always been told that fish was brain food...maybe eat some kind of fish or something? I know fish isn't much of a breakfast food though. Maybe some kind of breakfast like...eggs, orange juice & toast?...just 1 slice though. I don't know if I've helped at all.....I hope so. Anyone else know for sure?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Have a little protein snack before falling asleep (p.b., egg, cheese) to enhance your sleep and you will wake up strong. In the morning, make sure you have something with potassium (orange juice, for instance, or potatoes with skins, or a banana).

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Peppermint patties during the test.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I've heard that pasta will help and also that eating a hearty meal before the test will help. HTH!

Michele

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary 12 195 Flag

When I had an early math class, I always made sure to eat protein for breakfast - usually eggs - before class. It really seemed to help with my focus and concentration - and ability to retain. I am also very sound sensitive so I purchased a pair of noise reduction headphones. I don't know if your teacher would agree to allow you to wear them but you may want to make an inquiry! They really help with noise distractions.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By me 3 88 Flag

I actually had a class in college about test taking, strange i know but very helpful. What we were told was this: Memory is tied to other senses such as taste and smell, yes really! What you really need to do is to study the night before, reviewing the information you need to know, while eating your favorite food, the mind will associate this pleasure into memory as well as anything else your doing at the time, So if your favorite food is ice cream, eat it while working. We are hard wired to remember the very good things, so indulge !

ps we were also told that a monkey could pass a true or false 50% of the time and the the most popular answers on a multiple choice test are as this: first - D second - B third - C fourth- A.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I've had this same problem and I found that eating a good breakfast (protein, toast, juice, coffee or tea, but too much food will make you sleepy), taking an extra calcium-magnesium tablet (keeps you calm and focused), and a little Metamucil in water (yikes, I know, but it soothes your digestion, no constipation, diarrhea, stomach cramps or the dreaded tummy GROWLING) help. Also take a small snack along (chocolate has a little caffeine to perk you up), just in case you start sagging mid-test.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

When I took my Law School Admission Test three years ago we weren't even allowed water to drink during the testing! All our water bottles and snacks were held at the front of the room until the break. I drink lots of water, so I was pretty frustrated. For a quick, long lasting lift I use any kind of granola bars-- but not chocolate ones-- because the chocolate makes a fast lift followed by a fast crash.

Bananas are also good.

And if someone in the test room is snoring, maybe the proctor needs to remove that person from the room!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Warren D. Lockaby 2 168 Flag

The best thing I've found, and this is for all-around health so do it every morning, is mix two or three tablespoons of oat bran in a glass of V-8 juice and chug it down. I use the 'hot and spicy', but any kind of thick juice will keep it suspended so use whatever you like... I used to use Pina Colada mix but it's just too expensive. Then eat a banana, that will boost your potassium. And drink three or four cups of good, strong coffee. (I usually drink one or 1 1/2 pots, but it takes a bit to kick me in gear.) After doing all this, brush your teeth, head, and (if you're like me and have a beard) face, vigorously. (Er, not with the same brush, silly.) Then drink one more cup of coffee and go to class, and you'll probably knock their socks off. Note that the tooth-brushing is done *after* all consumption of fruit. This is important because there is something about fruit on top of toothpaste that creates a really vile odor. I have no data to back this up but I used to work with a guy who was very careful about keeping clean, and often in the mornings his breath smelled like an unflushed urinal. He was a health nut and drank a lot of juice, and I finally realized what was causing that rank breath. He'd brush his teeth just before leaving his house, and drink a bottle of orange juice on his way to work. So unless you *want* your breath to smell like a cesspool, don't brush your teeth until after you are finished eating or drinking, especially fruit and juice.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Warren D. Lockaby 2 168 Flag

One other thing: this may be a bit tough but you can master it over time. Learn to tune distractions out entirely. You can shut them off in your mind. This won't work if somebody is physically poking you or getting in your face, but once you get it down you'll be amazed. I no longer do this, but I used to sit in a crowded, noisy bar and study or read novels or write letters or whatever, totally oblivious to the racket going on around me. Just train yourself to tune it all out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Usually before a test most people don't know what to eat before test day, would you be able to tell me what you should eat?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Well, blueberries are supposed to improve memory so I say eat blueberry muffins or something before and during your studying. I have been doing so and I test tomorrow so we will see if it really does help improve memory. Can't hurt to try.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Holly 367 1,263 Flag

Someone told me to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with 1 slice of high fiber bread, heavy on the pb, low on the jelly, prior to a test. I also have a carton of protein beverage with it (EAS AdvantEdge, 11 ozs., the low carb variety).

I've done this for the last 3 tests and it works well.

Keeps me going for 2 hours of heavy math concentration.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

When my children and husband had finals I would always make cheese omlettes with juice and toast, not sure if it was my breakfast or they just knew the material or both. Whatever, it worked for all of them!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

When ever I had to take a test in radiology school, I would bring in my ipod and listen to techno. The steady beat of the music kept me nice and focused. Also, the day before the test I would leave the books and notes closed. Have a nice pasta meal so I could get a good night's sleep, and in the morning, scrambled eggs with basil, oregano and shredded cheddar cheese. Tall glass of OJ and a glass of milk. Then a small snack like a banana or a blueberry muffin while driving to school. I passed all my tests with high scores. I'm not a classroom learner either.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Well I read somewhere you should eat fruit, eggs, and toast. Give it a try. It will keep you alert and focused. :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

You're going to want to eat carbohydrates, considering they release the majority of the energy used by your brain, a.k.a. glucose. 2 hours before the test, try oatmeal or some other whole wheat, hearty grain. Don't stuff yourself, eat light. Drink plenty of water. Avoid coffee, caffeine causes a crash. You can drink a warm beverage made from water, lemon juice, hot sauce, and ginger if you need something hot to get you going. Also, it's best to avoid sugars with grains, overall, so skip juices and fruits until after. If you're still hungry after your grains, stick some vegetables into your meal.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By christine M. Thayer 2 232 Flag

This one seems the best: By Murene (Guest Post)

When my children and husband had finals I would always make cheese omlettes with juice and toast, not sure if it was my breakfast or they just knew the material or both. Whatever, it worked for all of them! Protein & fat last a long time. Carbs can cut off the fuel for your brain. It causes a sharp rise in the blood sugar. This will kill the thoughts. I'd have the juice though.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By twat 1 Flag

Eat a banana.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Education College Life FoodFebruary 16, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A child not listening by covering his ears.
Getting Your Kids to Listen
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 11:21:56 AM on 10.0.0.217 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings