Frugal Home Winterizing from Your Power Company

Free home winterization and free light bulbs: In many areas your power company may provide low income homeowners with a free winterization home inspection and certain power-saving fixes for the home. In other areas they may provide winterization kits for your windows free.

These kits can include: Plastic window and door covers, weather stripping for windows and doors, switch plate insulators, along with compact fluorescent bulbs and other goodies.

Even if you're not low income, in many areas you may be able to pick up free florescent light bulbs from your local home center or drug store. Last year I "bought" 8 bulbs at Home Depot, all I had to pay was the tax! I got 8 light bulbs for around 60 cents! At my local Walgreen's they were doing the same thing. You got the light bulbs free, you just paid the tax they didn't have limit, so I stocked up! The ones at Walgreen's were limited to the 60 watt, but Home Depot had larger wattage bulbs too. The cost of these light bulbs was picked up by our local power company, the cashier just scanned a special coupon into the register. If you are interested, call your local power company or ask at Home Depot or Walgreen's the next time you stop in.

Not here...nothing is free in New York! However, there are clear plastic tarps in some 99¢ stores that make for great window and door coverings. I've also seen the sweeps for the bottom of doors for 99¢

Man Winterizing His House
Winterizing Your House
Better Living Frugal Living TipsJanuary 14, 2009
Mobile Homes in Snow
Winterizing Your Mobile Home
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
power outage kitchen
Cooking When the Power Goes Out
🎉
🎄