Help With Knitting Instructions

How do I knit the following instructions?

"Change to main needles beginning with a knit, now continue in stocking stitch for the remainder of the back as follows:

Work 2 rows.
Work 13 rows decreasing 1st at each end of 1st and every following 6th row."

By Jean from Garden City, NY

Main knitting needles usual mean the bigger of needles required for the piece.

Stocking Stitch means knit one row then next row Purl. Knit side is the front side of piece. Decreasing is occurring on the next thirteen rows. Usually you Knit 1 then do a decrease stitch such as knit 2 together. then continue to the last three stitches, do slip stitch then knit 1 then pass over the knit stitch the slip over stitch then knit the last stitch.

Ok, once you get your work back on the main needles, do two rows of stockinette stitch ( which is knitting the first row with the "right side" facing you and then purling the next row.) That's the 2 rows. Then start your row count over again.

Row 1: start by K2tog ( which is a decrease where you just knit your first 2 stitches together. Continue to knit across the row until 2 stitches remain and then K2tog (knit the last 2 stitches together.) That's doing a decrease at the start and end of that row.

Row 2: ( and all even rows, making sure the wrong side is facing you) purl across.

Row 3: knit across

Row 4: purl across

Row 5: knit across

Row 6: purl across

Row 7: same as Row 1

Row 8: purl across

Row 9:knit across

Row 10 :purl across

Row 11: knit across

Row 12: purl across

Row 13: same as Row 1

I hope that helps and if someone catches an error in my explanation I apologize. I'm still learning too and humbly offer my help if and when I can. I've found great help on and where you'll find forums to post questions and even free videos for help with instructions and stitches. Good luck and happy knitting!

Crafts KnittingJuly 13, 2010
pink knitted hat
Knitting a Hat
Round Knitting Looms
Round Knitting Loom Tips
Adjustable Sock Loom
Using a Knitting Board Adjustable Sock Loom
machine knitting a hat
Buying and Using a Knitting Machine