Will The Snake Come Back?

I am very frightened by snakes and saw one creeping out of my garage into my flower bed, and don't know where it is now. Has it disappeared or could it be back in my garage with the possibility of others?

Jamie from Monroe, MI

Sorry to say, it could be back and who knows if there are more. Get somebody to look at it when you see it again and tell you what kind it is. Better yet, read up on them and identify it yourself. It's probably a harmless garden snake and you have no need to fear it. I guess it's easy for me to say that from the safety of my house, isn't it? :-)

I agree with the first post. If you a really bothered by it call someone to come check it out and possibly get rid of the snake and any others. Good luck!

If you have seen one around your house chances are they have a nest nearby. Look for holes around foundations. My brother used to take and drown them out with a hose. But I'm like you scared to death! When he went on his snake hunts I was in the house!

The main thing you need to do is identify the kind. Only rattle snakes, copperheads, and water moccasins and other poisonous snakes should be killed or caught by the animal control and placed elsewhere. Snakes are very good and catch rats and mice and keep down the rodent population. Common snakes found in gardens such as the garter snake, rat snake and grass snake are not poisonous and will "run away" from people if they get near them. I would not worry about a snake especially if you have a large yard or one that borders on fields and woods. He will go where he can find food and that can be beneficial for you in keeping rats, mice, voles, etc away. If there are no rodents or toad around, he will leave and find a place that has them.

However, since you are scared of snakes, and you see it in your garage again, you could contact animal control if you know where it is. Such as you see it in the corner of the garage and it is not "disappearing" and they will probably come and transport it away for you.

I don't really like to see snake close when they are on the ground, but my middle son loved them and would catch any kind that was not poisonous and examine them and then release them:) When he was holding them, I would look at them with him, but I would not try to catch one myself:(

Harriet

You didn't say if it's a big or small snake, or what type of snake it is.

If it's poisonous, then get animal control out there to take care of the problem.

If not, then let the snakes be. They're beautiful creatures, and they won't hurt you. About the only way you'd get bitten is if you accidentally stepped on one, LOL.

We have a small snake hanging around our yard, and I love it. The first time I saw the snake, I was like Steve Irwin, running like mad to catch up with it. I managed to touch the snake's tail, and it felt really neat--amazingly muscular for such a small creature. I don't know if it's male or female, so I named it "Slither". :-)

Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesAugust 4, 2008
Black and White Eastern Kingsnake
Kingsnake Information and Photos
Growing Chives
Growing Chives
copperhead snake
What Kind of Snake is This?
Caring For a Pet Snake, Snake on a person's hand.
Caring For a Pet Snake
🎉
🎄