Hydrangea Leaves Turning Yellow

I had three Quick Fire hydrangeas planted this fall. They have lots of yellow leaves with dark spots sprinkled in them and lots of holes in the leaves like something has been eating on them. Also, the branches look moldy. What should I do to them before winter sets in? Should I pull the leaves off and also should I do any pruning?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Peggy from Springboro, OH

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

You may be overwatering, so I would cut back for a few days to see if it helps. I would make sure you are watering the base of the plant and not the leaves. Is there enough space between the plants for circulation? For the holes, it's probably slugs, so get Sluggo or put crushed egg shells around the plants (the slugs don't like climbing on them).

When you do water them add 1 T of Epsom salt to 1 gal of water & give them some fertilizer. Spread about 2 cups of Holly Tone around the base of them.

I am a Master Gardener in central Ohio. It seems like your hydrangeas are going into normal dormancy. See http://www.ipmn  %20stems-UMD.pdf for more info.

You don't need to pull off the leaves they will fall off naturally as the plant goes dormant for the winter. Don't worry. It sounds like your plants are normal for this area.

August 1, 2011 Flag

I have a standard Limelight hydrangea growing in full sun. We have recently had hot dry conditions and I have watered and fertilized a reasonable amount in frequency and quantity. This last week we've had a couple of thunderstorms and cloud cover. My hydrangea has just started to flower and at the same time the lower leaves have turned yellow and started to fall off. Up to this point the plant looked very healthy. Do I have a problem and if so is there a solution?

By Alan H

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 24, 2010 Flag

I planted six hydrangeas along the south side of my 5 ft. fence. They are Limelights, Quickfire, and Pink Winky. They've been there 3 years. They grow well, but I'm noticing yellow leaves that are dropping off. The flowers are forming great, but I'm concerned. Are they getting too much or too little water? Please help. Thank you.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By lincolnshire from Springfield, IL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceOctober 24, 2010
Deadheading a Hydrangea
Deadheading a Hydrangea
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Cucumber Blooms
Cucumbers Turning Yellow
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 8:07:46 AM on 10.0.0.96 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.